@creative minds! Component from aviation useful for scuba diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Dear creative minds,

I am a business grad student from Germany and I currently have a very interesting project running, for which I would like to ask for your expertise. The project is in corporation with an aviation company, who are looking for alternative applications for a product.

The product is a strut assembly similar to a carbon-telescoping pole.

· Material: carbon
· Size: 1m – 1,5m (made in three sections and can be extended and retracted as necessary for use and collapsed for storage or transport)
· Weight: 600g
· Fitting system: like a trekking pole (frictional- and tight fit)
· No wear out!
· Lifting capacity: max. 140kg (capable of both, pulling and pushing)
· The material and the dimensions of the strut can be modified

The big benefits of the product are, that is very light and insensitive to temperature, pressure, water and humidity.

Can you think of any application for the strut in the field of scuba diving?

(As for now, please do not consider costs or detailed technical feasibility.)

I am grateful for anyone who comes up with creative ideas and constructive criticism.

Kind regards
Sven

Last edited:
How about a pole spear? If the strut is strong and light, you would have to allow the internal space to flood so the pole would have some mass.

A pole spear that could be retracted for transport and then extended for use, might be well received if it were rigid enough, could handle the marine environment. The back end need a simple hole for a string and the front end needs a stainless steel adapeter with 6 mm threaded end to fit standard spearfshing tips.

Cane for exiting on a beach or help in standing up on a ramp? I also like the extending camera mount.

Cane for exiting on a beach or help in standing up on a ramp? I also like the extending camera mount.
This. My wife and I use commercially available collapsible canes (segmented, with bungee cord down the middle) for exiting/entering shore dives. Two problems have emerged. The handle of one cane detached on entering one dive when I was forced to lean on it suddenly. There is a need to accommodate abrupt weight application, not just gentler pressure for balance purposes. The second problem concerns the foot of the cane. These are ordinarily made of rubber and will wear out rather quickly. Perhaps some other material is better. Cast aluminum? Regardless, it should have a profile as low as possible to minimize water resistance. Also, if a collapsible cane is made for diving purposes, care must be taken to assure that it does not collapse at unexpected moments. Water could provide unwanted lubrication to the frictional arrangement.

Thank you very much for your feedback. I especially like the idea about the cane for entering or exiting shore dives.

Back
Top Bottom