Help buying used gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I are mid 50's and will retire to liveaboard our sailboat currently in the Caribbean in 6 months. We are both certified, recreational vacation divers. I doubt we will ever dive outside the clear waters of the tropics.
We would like to have our own gear aboard; however, I just don't see us shelling out for new gear until we decide what we like / dislike. My last dive gear set was the AMF/Voit reg, non AI vest style BC, and rocket fins that I dove in the early 1980's while spearfishing in the Gulf of Mexico.
There is a lot of used gear out there; I just don't really know where to start. I could easily help a new buyer decide on used kiteboard or cycling equipment; however, I have been away from the scuba diving market too long. I have bought used ski boats then new, used mountain bikes then new, and I have always gained invaluable experience from the used purchases before going to new.
So any suggestion would be welcome. I am hoping for suggestions on how old, best brands, important features, and evaluating used gear. If used gear is a big mistake, please let me hear that as well.
Thanks for your help in advance.

Due to size/weight limitations (I asssume) on your boat, I'd look for travel gear for at least the BCD. Some of it is basically just smaller lift, more minimal versions of the mfr's other models. Obviously Craigslist and Ebay are options - so are our classifieds. I see good deals on craigslist and I see some old junk that someone had laying around in their basement for a decade that is way overpriced. I've also seen stuff that people bought during certification then either failed or didn't like diving so it's like new but not returnable. I don't buy used as a rule but I've been tempted a couple times.

Here's some I might look for. I'm linking to new so you can get a sense of the value. I used LeisurePro's website since it's easy but prices are the same anywhere. I obviously have my biases but most of what I recommended I've used - or similar models from the same company. Except the regs - I only dive Atomic Aquatics - they're not inexpensive either.

One might be Zeagle's Express Tech. It has all the lift you need for diving warm water - will take doubles (not very well) if you ever wanted to and comes with optional wing sizes. Most people fit it into a carry-on when they travel. Zeagle Express Tech Deluxe BCD at LeisurePro $350 new but if you add an integrated weight system it's almost $100 more.

Zeagle also makes their Covert - a slightly more featured travel BC - it rolls up like a newspaper - not much bigger than one either. Mostly it has a bigger wing and is gray. The jacket is a little more substantial also. It's actually lighter than the Express Tech also. Another feature that you may find useful: "Inner bladder can be patched in the field" It's a little more money new - $429. Zeagle Covert BCD at LeisurePro Pretty new so you may not find many used yet.

Nice thing about the Express Tech is it's made of 1000denier cordura so about as heavy duty as they make. So is the Covert. Some of the other travel models in other mfr's lines use 420denier to save weight.

I also like the ScubaPro Litehawk - they're a single tank only but $100 cheaper new than the Zeagle's - $239. Same 1000 denier fabric but a larger wing. IMO too large for single tank, warm water diving. But at least it's controlled by the design so not likely to flap around. Scubapro Litehawk BC, Black at LeisurePro There's a new Litehawk this year so the $239 models are the closeout.

Aqualung has a similar mode - the Zuma but it's of the lighter 420 denier material. Aqua Lung US - Personal Aquatic Equipment for Recreational and Professional Use - Zuma I'm also not a fan of: "Proprietary flat valves mean are streamlined, eliminating drag" since for you that means finding an Aqualung dealer if it breaks. Plastic d-rings also...

For regs I'd go with a name brand - ScubaPro, Aqualung, Mares, Oceanic - I mention these because they're often what I've seen at Caribbean locations so if you need parts/service it should be easier to find. Atomic Aquatics is also an option - they're a little pricier but have a factory 2 year/300 dive service interval. Buying used that won't apply but it doesn't change the fact that you can adopt the same schedule for yours once they've been serviced at purchase. They don't have the presence of some of the others in the Caribbean but I've never needed to have mine serviced in the field either.

All the manufacturers have dealer locators on their websites. Maybe browse a few for the places you'll be sailing and that will influence your decisions.

Someone will shortly come along and mention Hog/Edge as an alternative. Which is fine but they probably do their own servicing also - and have a technical dive certification so they were allowed to take the repair course. If you want/can accomplish all that - you can then buy parts kits and DIY.

Otherwise there are currently no Hog/Edge dealers in the Caribbean. So the nearest service point is either SoFl or ship it to Scubatoys in Dallas. Neither seems reasonable to me..

Since you've been out of diving for so long have you looked at Scubatoys.com or LeisurePro.com? You may be able to get new gear for not much more than used. DiveGearExpress.com or Scuba.com also are options.

Especially for computers - LeisurePro has an Aeris Manta for $200 currently. And several other non-AI wrist models around the same price. My buddy uses Aeris computers - no problems ever. I've had problems with Uwatec so don't recommend them. I currently dive a Suunto Gekko, it's an easy to read, easy to use wrist computer that you can get used under $200 used since they've been replaced by the Zoop - Suunto's lowest cost model. More conservative algorithm than some so it's a little safer for diving on your own. Nothing wrong with an Oceanic Veo though either. Some of the Veo's are very reasonably priced as well - I've seen air only models for under $175 new. Or sub-$200 with Nitrox.

hth, I'd suggest posting links to anything you find here - soemeone has probably used it or knows someone who does.

Going to be in the BVI's? - bviscuba.org has all your options. They also do Rendezvous diving - will meet you at your mooring or a convenient dock with tanks/weights and take you diving. It doesn't cost any more than their standard two-tank pricing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom