Is this a good rig?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tangfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm thinking of buying the following setup as an intermediate diver who's fallen in love with the sport:

Scubapro MK25/S600 regulator
Aqualung Patriot BCD
Atomic SS1 combination power inflator/octopus
Oceanic VT Pro wireless wrist dive computer

The following setup is going to run me approximately $1500 at my LDS

Is this a good deal? Is there anything blatently wrong or incompatible with this mix? Can you experts out there suggest anything in place of or in addition to this rig? I travel a lot so size and weight are an issue.

Thanks~

Calvin

Well, if you travel alot, and weight is an issue, I wouldnt get the patriot BC. I would look at the SeaQuest Balance BC (your LDS should have them, or be able to get them if they have the Patriot). Thats what I used for traveling (and teaching) for a few years and it was a great BC.

The reg, and computer are fine (although ask yourself if you really need to spend that much dinero on a computer). I would get a standard secondary however, and skip the integrated one...

Good Luck...

If possible, I would try a few different types of BC setups before I settled on one to buy. i.e. - try the one you mentioned if you haven't already (is it a jacket style or back inflate? I'm not familiar with it.) Try a back inflate BC (or jacket if this is a b.i.) Try a Backplate/wing setup. Try each more than once and in actual dive conditions rather than just the pool if you can.

Look online and get prices from other LDS. If you go back to your LDS and say this place will give me this deal can you match it; they might come down $100-$400 or even more.

If it was me i would get a cheaper computer that was not wireless and get a small SPG.

Hi Calvin,

I bought my equipment many years ago, so I don't have any sense of what's a good deal. But just wanted to say that I LOVE my Oceanic wireless computer. It's the DataTrans. I haven't had any problems with it, and I love the freedom of not having the extra hoses. Most people that I've met on trips that have wireless computers have been quite happy with their computers also. Not sure what your requirements are, but I do warm water vacation diving. No tech etc.

Well the wireless option appeals to me for the following reasons:
-losing the extra hose (obviously)
-as a frequent traveler I may sometimes just head overseas with my mask and wrist computer leaving the more cumbersome gear behind on trips where diving is not the predominant activity
-the wrist unit and transmitter costs marginally more than a traditional hose computer setup

*then again I've never even used a computer before so I'm going off of advice from experienced divers like yourselves and guys at my LDS

as far as the BCs are concerned, I have used a variety of jacket types, but never a back inflation, again I'm going off a majority consensus that they're better under the water than the vest/jacket types, if anyone feels differently about that let me know please.

thanks for all the great advice, this board rox!!

Back
Top Bottom