Hard shell suitcase for flights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mscdex

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am heading to Jamaica from Washington dc in 2 weeks and saw a previous post about mesh bags on the plane. I take very good care of my gear and don't want anything to get torn or dinged up. I plan on taking my regulator as a cary-on but still have a lot of gear to check in.

Has anyone tried using one of those large hard shell suitcases for dive gear? Any suggestions?

I found this one which had good reviews: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004TNOB22...lid=2RRUNO0QG73VX&coliid=I2T9K587AVC3XC&psc=1

I recommend using a hard case on a plane, Just be prepared for the pick up as it may be put through a heavy luggage

I've used a heavy duty Cordura duffel from Wild Things for years. I don't see the point of using up my baggage allowance with a heavy suitcase. OTOH, I have a hard shell carry-on that I use for my rebreather when I take it.

I used to travel with a drysuit. There was no way I was going to risk the zip being damaged in a soft bag and ruining a week's diving. The weight thing is an issue, but got round this by not taking any clothes. You don't really need any on a dive trip!

I just use whatever cheap, lightweight luggage I can find at Tuesday Morning. I can only see negatives from having any sort of expensive logo on your luggage.

I use a cheap, light, hard-shell suitcase for my diving equipment. Its still about 4kg extra weight though, but when I travel with diving equipment it tend to be to places where I don't need much clothes anyways.
The weight of that case is featherweight compared to the stormcase for my photo gear thoug - not to mention what happens when I stuff it full of said photo equipment, even after I carry-on my camera body and lenses...

The suitcase with diving gear looks inconspicous, the stormcase not so much, but there's just no way I'll send photo equipment without it being properly packed. Id rather run the relatively low risk of having to claim the theft on the insurance than the certainty of luggage handlers busting something up...

I use Samsonite hard side.....the ones with side locks and no zippers.

Back
Top Bottom