Gear from 1997 - Still useful and safe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AcornMan

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I bought masks, fins, snorkels, booties, and wetsuits in 1997. We have used them for two dive trips, one in 1997 and one in 1998. Since then, they have been sitting in a dive bag in our basement or garage in Kansas and Colorado, which means hot and cold conditions. About a year ago, I pulled out some of it to check it over, and the rubber straps on the masks and fins broke when I pulled on them.

So my question is: Should I just throw all this gear away, or is it still safe to use if I replace the rubber straps?

Personally, I wouldnt. Sure you could check the stuff out in a pool but failure is increased in the stressors depth confers upon the equipment. Equipment failure us a tough problem to deal with at death. You'd be better off renting.

There is a whole section on the board for vintage equipment. And yours isn't old enough to qualify as vintage. Check it out, service if need be, and use it. Unless you can no longer get parts for it or it is damaged beyond repair dive it. Old doesn't mean its bad or needs to be replaced.

The garage stays would be my only concern as rubber doesn't respond well to the CO and O3 that tends to live in garages....

Fins are fine, masks are fine, obviously fins need strap replacements, it's almost 20 year old rubber, but the masks are silicone and should have fared better. Neoprene is personal preference, if it still feels fine, it is fine.

FWIW I still have my parents masks and fins from the late 70's and still use the fins regularly. Granted they are the old IDI power fins, so they're about 9lbs of rubber so not much to go wrong, but as long as they aren't plastic, I wouldn't worry about it.

Welcome to da board ...

With the gear you are inquiring about this post is mostly malarky ignore it (with a reg/bcd you want to have them serviced):

Personally, I wouldnt. Sure you could check the stuff out in a pool but failure is increased in the stressors depth confers upon the equipment. Equipment failure us a tough problem to deal with at death. You'd be better off renting.

The other posts are good info. Straps crack and break - many use spring straps now. With the masks if the silicone seal is still soft and forms a good seal then I would use them (if you can jump in a pool and do some splashing about with a snorkel). I have a mask that is 20 years old that I use as a back up. Neoprene does age and get stiffs. If the suits still fit and are comfortable use them.

Some other thoughts. Given that you have not dove in a long time most people would recommend a refresher course. There you could jump in a pool with your gear and give it a once over while remembering the basics. I would also suggest that you consider a doing something like an advanced open water course. That will get you into dive mode more so and hopefully learn a few new skills. Then when you do a trip you will be even more comfortable in the water. Many shops would do a complimentary refresher as part of the course.

If your gear is not damaged or overly worn, and you can still gets parts, it is still safe to dive it. Gear basics haven't changed much since the early 90's - late 80's. The main thing is being able to keep it safely serviced. If you can find a trained repairperson, or are educated and can do yourself, keep it as long as you want! Having said that, there have been improvements in comfort, weight, and technology in regulators for example, making them easier to breath at depth or preventing free flow in current. There have been improvements in BCD fabrics and materials. And computer technology has certainly improved. Vintage gear (anything 1975 or older by definition) diving is a popular scuba sub-culture. Gear depreciates quickly, as well, so dive it while it works and save your money! USED GEAR ROCKS...

"Be the Sea"

Try it out. I still have the mask I used when I was first certified in 1990. I've replaced the strap, but otherwise it's still in great shape. Also still have a wetsuit from 1997. It's still in great shape. Granted mine has been stored in a room in the house, and out of the garage.

Your biggest concern would be dry rot. Work the mask and fins in your hands a bit. If they crack, toss them. Otherwise, they are probably still good.

As has been said, a refresher course would be wise as it seems it's been a while.

Back
Top Bottom