tough camera-underwater, plus housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jordan23

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hi

im new to this forum. would like to know if there is a box for simple underwater camera (not go pro..) like others camera that have- which are regular cameras?

thanks

Canon makes some fairly reasonably priced polycarbonate housings for some of their compacts. But be warned: it's like dope. I started shooting with a simple G9 in a cheap housing, now I wonder if it'd been cheaper to start shooting up...

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

Canon makes some fairly reasonably priced polycarbonate housings for some of their compacts. But be warned: it's like dope. I started shooting with a simple G9 in a cheap housing, now I wonder if it'd been cheaper to start shooting up...

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

+1 On that. You can tear my Canon s100 in its Canon housing from my cold dead fingers. Very inexpensive, great low light performance, very decent video, manual white balance, etc, etc.
All that said, it ain't a dslr, but you couldn't buy a decent lens for one of those for what I have spent on my camera and housing.

I have an older model Sealife DC-800. It continues to serve me well. The newer DC-1400 looks really nice. I have friends with the DC-1200 and they have been great cameras for them Easy to use, good still pictures and video.

im new to this forum. would like to know if there is a box for simple underwater camera (not go pro..) like others camera that have- which are regular cameras?

Yes. A given camera brand (e.g.: Canon, Nikon, Panasonic) will produce a number of different models of cameras. For some, but not all, of those models, the brand may also produce underwater housings (the box you're talking about) - typically polycarbonate, which looks like clear plastic. Depending on whether it's a current or outdated model of camera and some other things, you might expect to pay around $150 - $400 for the house, at a guess, in addition to the price of the camera.

Some people prefer 3rd party housings, from makers like Ikelite and Nauticam. Some are polycarbonate, some aluminum, and so forth. Some housings let people add accessory lenses like for macro and fish eye easily, and some don't.

There are other approaches, but what I just described seems to be the mainstream approach to taking a land camera underwater. Be mindful those polycarbonate housings rely on an o-ring seal to keep water out, and sometimes a hair or some such across the o-ring seal compromises it so water gets in and ruins the camera, which we refer to a flooding the housing.

Do you have a camera brand and model in mind?

Richard.

Back
Top Bottom