Dive Alert or Scuba Horn - Surface Audio Signaling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UaVaj

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
use to have a dive alert plus v1. on the surface the horn worked great, never use the quacker in the water.

overall it was kinda bulky (for my taste) and no way to service. over time wear and tear had reduce its peak performance.

any scuba horn owners here? what are the pro and con?

leaning toward the scuba horn due to: ease of maintenance (easy disassemble) and serviceability (available service kit) and smaller overall profile.
Scuba Horn - High quality Scuba Horn manufacturer from Taiwan | AQUATEC - DUTON INDUSTRY CO., LTD.

Last edited:
Never used the Scuba Horn, but it does look nice, and the service kit for it is definitely a plus.

I have used the Dive Alert on dives while teaching and it works fine, but yes, over time it will get some build up that will decrease performance. One of mine is currently not working because of that, but I have yet to take the time to try and fix it.

If you want cheap constantly reliable options, try one of those tank bangers that is a ball on the elastic band, or I have seen small PVC tubes filled with BBs or a lead fishing weight that people use as shakers. Neither are as loud obviously, but they will last a lot longer without any servicing.

Last edited:
If you need to service the DiveAlert Plus v.2 it is pretty easy. See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t_PYkxx7cw Also, it is made is Seattle,WA so any service parts are easy to get. And, most importantly, The DiveAlert Plus v.2 works both on the surface and under the surface greatly adding value and safety.

I have a scuba horn (or very similar device). Have had it for several years and used in salt water. still works. I just leave it on my regs so there even when I travel.

finding a domestic dealer (usa) for this scuba horn posed to be a challenge - especially with the scubapro fitting. even international dealers are scarce - given the fitting.

finally order it via factory direct and finally arrived.

with the unit on hand.. wet and tested... this device is night and day better. ease of use, ease of rinsing, streamline, serviceability and honorable mention it is priced right.

bottom line is. friends do to not let friends buy dive alert. especially when a scuba horn is available.

I've had a dive alert surface horn for about 7 years. It still works fine. I only use it when travel diving on liveaboards or open ocean boat dives. They do need to be soaked in warm water regularly or salt build up will jam them. Have no knowledge of the one OP linked to.

---------- Post added April 16th, 2015 at 10:39 PM ----------

Correction, just looked at the website, one of my Japanese buddy's has one. It's old and sounds sick.

---------- Post added April 16th, 2015 at 10:39 PM ----------

Sick as in not well as opposed to sick cool.

---------- Post added April 16th, 2015 at 10:43 PM ----------

As a back to an air horn or as a better than nothing maybe, but the reality is they are not that effective over any real distance or over boat engine noise. But yes, better than nothing and of course don't require any cylinder air. I do carry one.

given all the other noise of the ocean. waves, wind, boat, motor.

IMHO - 60db is the absolute minimum audio threshold for getting the attention of someone "is" looking for you.

that means:
standard whistle (ie fox40) is good for about 100' at 98db
storm whistle is good for about 300' at 109db
air horn is good for about 1 mile at 132db

we all are already carrying to much gear when diving. so we all have to decide what else we want to add on.
as for air horn. better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.

Back
Top Bottom