Scuba.com - is everything always out of stock?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ThePetiteRunner

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I was wondering about other people's experiences buying from scuba.com. Their prices looked competitive and their return/exchange policy looks great, but I placed two orders, both a few days apart from one another with totally different items, only to find that item(s) on BOTH orders are out of stock and won't be shipping out for another week or two! It's so frustrating. Anyone else have this happen? If it's out of stock, why don't they just not stock it for sale until it ACTUALLY is available?

:cross:

my experiences haven't been stellar. Think they have cancelled more than I have received. Do not rely on them for things needed in less than 4-6 months..

Welcome to online sales. You get those lower prices by the store lowering costs. Inventory costs and the longer it sits often the more it is costing. So they try to keep inventory low to reduce expenses. I have had similar experiences a many online sites, scuba and not scuba.

I have not had any issue with online orders from:
Dive Gear Express
Dive Right In Scuba
Leisure Pro
Dive Addicts
Cave Adventurers

Dolphin Scuba is my LDS so I don't order online from them.

I tried them a while back. Advertised an item they didn't have, tried to tell me that it was not on their website, even though I was looking at the item, and that they didn't stock said advertised item and that basically I was mistaken, which I was not. Rang them up in attempt to solve the issue the guy on the other end of the phone who claimed to the guy who does the ordering had almost no idea what he was talking about. Eventually they conceded their website was wrong and that they would correct it promptly. I kept an eye on it, it never changed. I gave up. From this experience alone I'd find it difficult to recommend them. Maybe they were just having a bad day, mistakes do happen etc but with the number of reliable online stores I didn't feel the need to ever try again. Obviously YMMV.

As far as online shopping I've only ever had great service from DGX, ScubaToys, Cave Adventurers, DRIS, Leisure Pro and Jim Lapenta. I apologise if I forgot anyone.

I'm 50/50 with them. I ordered some small stuff once and it arrived within a few days. I ordered a generic pair of boots in a standard size and never got them. I actually bought them elsewhere, went on the trip I wanted them for and returned to find them still back-ordered. A month later I cancelled after yet another back-order notice.

Nice store if you're ever in Irvine. That's probably the only way I'd buy from them now.

My reliable go-to's are LeisurePro and Scubatoys. Dive Gear Express also. I haven't had good luck with Divers Direct - they sent me a new BC that appeared to have been scavenged for parts. After I returned it using their RMA process it took 2 months, several phone calls and intervention by my CC card company to get my money back.

I haven't ordered from them in at least 6 months but I didn't have any problems with the orders I did place from scuba.com. Everything went smoothly for me.

Dolphin Scuba is my LDS so I don't order online from them.

I love Dolphin Scuba! I'm in Sac, so they're my LDS as well. They just don't always have everything I'm looking for.

Well, this may be the last time I order from scuba.com. It's ridiculous that you wouldn't keep in stock what you clearly are stating you have ready to go. :depressed:

I was wondering about other people's experiences buying from scuba.com. Their prices looked competitive and their return/exchange policy looks great, but I placed two orders, both a few days apart from one another with totally different items, only to find that item(s) on BOTH orders are out of stock and won't be shipping out for another week or two! It's so frustrating. Anyone else have this happen? If it's out of stock, why don't they just not stock it for sale until it ACTUALLY is available?

:cross:

I've been to the Scuba.com store. Their warehouse is huge, and when I saw it... full. At the beginning of the year, you may find that a lot of scuba gear (in general) may be backordered, as many manufacturers run their stock down at the end of the year to not have it carry over into the next year as being in stock. Carrying inventory over through the end of year could lead to tax liability.

with all the other options of internet shops, and the fact most will price match (or at least actually have the item), I routinely take my business elsewhere...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom