Duty Free dive equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Watch out for warranty honor (companies typically do not honor warranties for goids bought in other countries) and depending on the amount, you may have to pay duties when you arrive in the US anyway. Other problems include not being built to US standards. May be minor but worth understanding.

Gestuurd van my iPhone met Tapatalk

Where have you seen "duty free" shops that sell dive equipment? My experience has been that if you need to buy some dive equipment (lost or broken) while on a dive vacation you are going to pay elevated prices. Dive shops know they've got a captive audience and if you need something to continue diving you will pay just about anything. They don't really gouge but they don't discount from list or manufacturers suggested by any stretch of the imagination.

If you're an American and wanting to avoid taxes just buy from a website that doesn't have a location in your state. However I started out buying online and now I willingly pay the premium to buy at a local shop. I find the service to be worth the extra coin. Your mileage may vary.

Where have you seen "duty free" shops that sell dive equipment? My experience has been that if you need to buy some dive equipment (lost or broken) while on a dive vacation you are going to pay elevated prices. Dive shops know they've got a captive audience and if you need something to continue diving you will pay just about anything. They don't really gouge but they don't discount from list or manufacturers suggested by any stretch of the imagination.

I don't "need" anything, but I do like to browse the shops while visiting and see if there are any specific sales. I noticed some dive shops on the web advertise duty free shopping so this is why I brought it up.
Thanks.

I believe the personal exemption for items purchased outside the USA is $800 per person per trip. I know that for some countries, the exemption is higher due to treaties and trade agreements.

As far as "duty free," the import tax on a lot of items isn't really that much. I remember on a cruise to Canada that went from New York, I bought a bunch of bottles of booze in the ship's duty free shop. You're allowed one bottle per passenger, so I had to pay duty on the extras. It was a dollar a bottle.

Back
Top Bottom