What is the best camera for a dive shop to use for rental?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know there is a photography forum?

The cheapest "camera" you can find because it will get lost, flooded and broken. Most divers would do better not to carry a camera and instead concentrate on staying off the coral/bottom.

N

Most divers would do better not to carry a camera and instead concentrate on staying off the coral/bottom.

N

While true, probably not an economically sensible "camera rental" policy for a resort-location dive shop.

I'd suggest going with GoPro rentals. Anyone who is renting a camera probably has little/no experience using one... so is unlikely to be happy with what they end up with image-wise. Especially if you don't intend to rent them multiple strobes as well.

GoPro, on the other hand, are very forgiving and with a red filter are very likely to give the typical vacation diver a good output that they'll be happy to bring home and show their friends.

Probably also one of the cheaper options.

Last edited:
One that can't flood.:D

In all seriousness, when I used to do commercial underwater photography jobs, I normally charged at least enough to replace my equipment if the unthinkable (an equipment ruining event) happened. And yes it did happen once. Recreational rentals are of course a different story. The next big thing is always where you want to be. I suppose today it would be GoPro based gear. It also might be worth contacting Ike-Light for their opinion on the most popular housings, and plan based on what they have to say, of course you may wind up purchasing said housings and said cameras.

Back
Top Bottom