Looking for the right wet suit thickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcnc20

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I dive resorts in the Caribbean for the most part - so usually 70F or above. Call me a wimp but i rent wet suits even if the water is 80F. Rather than paying $20 each time and getting an icky wet suit, i want to buy my own shorty.
I am looking for feedback on what is needed for this type of diving. I saw some nice ones that were 3mm and 2.5mm.

Does anyone know what thickness the tourist spots usually rent?
Is 3mm good enough for tropical waters in a shorty?
and just as a side note - are there pros and cons to front zip over back zip?

I have a 3mm Akona that was perfect for the Caribbean.

I've been diving mostly in 80 degree water in the Caribbean. My 3/2 full or my 3 mil shorty were fine.

Jim

it all depends - upon fit & how much bottom time you want to clock.

It the suit does not fit you and lets a constant stream of water gush around, then you will never be warm and thickness does not matter. If you only do one 30 minute dive then your suit does not matter that much either.

My divebuddy uses a custom made 3mm full wetsuit. i use a 7mm custom shorty. 5 dives a day (70 minutes each) she gets a little chilled on the night dive. 5 dives a day i am just fine and considering going down to 5mm shorty for my next suit (to shed a few pounds of ballast).

In general a properly fitted 3mm full suit should be fine for the caribbean.

I dive resorts in the Caribbean for the most part - so usually 70F or above. Call me a wimp but i rent wet suits even if the water is 80F. Rather than paying $20 each time and getting an icky wet suit, i want to buy my own shorty.
I am looking for feedback on what is needed for this type of diving. I saw some nice ones that were 3mm and 2.5mm.

Does anyone know what thickness the tourist spots usually rent?
Is 3mm good enough for tropical waters in a shorty?
and just as a side note - are there pros and cons to front zip over back zip?

A lot depends on your cold tolerance and what time of year you will be diving. For a good part of the year, many (most) people may NOT be comfortable with just a shorty- especially after a few repetitive dives. Another potentially significant issue with a shorty wetsuit is sun protection and sting protection.

We offer a thin, very flexible 2 mm one piece suit that provides full protection from sun, stings and will keep you warmer than a shorty. Many people will benefit from a lycra hood (for sun and sting protection) and also a 2-3 mm hood to add when it is cooler or when you plan that night dive. Don't overlook the significant thermal benefits a thin hood can provide. All our wetsuits are made with Yamamoto neoprene which is considered many to be the best neoprene on the market- delivering warmth, flexibility and strength.

This suit is reversible with a blue and reef camo options..

Camo Spearfishing Wetsuit 1-piece Yamamoto 2mm | MAKO Spearguns

M1YBG-2.jpg

Lycra Hood:

Camo Lycra Hood | MAKO Spearguns

MCLH-2.jpg

2mm
Neoprene Hood:

Wetsuit Hood Reversible Blue Camo-Green Camo | MAKO Spearguns

MHBG-2.jpg

Thanks!

Dano!

I take my 3/2 but generally dive a full lycra skin in those environs (relatively cold tolerant). I don't mind renting shorties, but if I'm buying, I go for a full suit. I'm generally wearing it for exposure protection as much as warmth. I've been known to bump a shin on a bulkhead and it seems like they are always covered in fire coral or some other stinging something.:dork2: As far as front vs back entry, my skins are front and my wetsuit is back, so I guess I don't have a personal preference. YMMV. :)

For a good all around suit for the Caribbean I would buy a full 3mm. On a recent trip with 80+ deg water I wore a skin on top and a pair of board shorts. With the 3mm full you can always add a layer underneath if it isn't warm enough. While I do own a 5mm I bought for an early April trip on a live aboard I am not so sure I really needed anything more than the 3mm I had and a Lavacore vest which I also have. That said, protecting yourself from stingy things and all around comfort a 3mm full suit is about the best all around purchase I could advise. YMMV

This may or may not be helpful:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ex...-3-5mm-akona-3mm-x-2-scuba-pro-3-2-5-4-a.html

Personally, I'm a new diver, but after reading a bunch here, I got the hint that I should buy a full suit, so that I would be warm enough AND be protected on my arms and legs from scrapes, cuts, and stings.

Also, being cold makes you more disposed towards decompression sickness. So, my philosophy is dress to be warm (as in, the warm side of comfortable), not just dressing to be not-cold. And I was totally comfortable diving in the Caribbean in December in a 3/2 full suit. I'm not sure I would have been warm enough, though, in a shorty.

Also, the review I posted above is to the point that a thinner suit, that fits well and has good seals, will be just as warm as a thicker suit that doesn't fit well, or doesn't have good seals at the ankles, wrists, neck, and spine, or that doesn't have glued-and-blind-stitched seams (flatlock stitching will let water seep in). And, in my shopping, I found that most manufacturers seem to think that people who want 3mm or 3/2 suits aren't as concerned with warmth (as people looking at 5mm and thicker). So, a lot of the thinner suits (especially the really inexpensive ones) don't have glued and blind stitched seams and they don't have a full complement of seals. I took the time to find a suit for myself that fits really well (i.e. snug EVERYWHERE), has good seals all around, has GBS seams and, even though it's only 3mm/2mm, it's nice and warm, even in water in the low 70s.

I wear a full 3 mm when the water temp is above mid-high 70s and a full 5 mm when it is lower than that. A hooded vest is a great investment and gives you leeway if the water or you are colder than expected. I carry the hooded vest with me all the time, just in case. It's great being the only warm diver on the boat and not having to cut dives short

Back
Top Bottom