Pony Bottle: Slinging Vs Side-mounting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Locus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've read through several threads on pony bottle rigging and I'm a bit unclear what the difference is between slinging a bottle (for which there are several very informative, instructional threads) and side-mounting one (which is discussed as though it is different from slinging but doesn't seem to have as much written about it).

What exactly are the differences in rigging, gear requirements, and applications, and what are the relative advantages/disadvantages? Pictures would be appreciated please.

Last edited:
Mounted one is basically fixed to your tank, if im slinging you can clip it on to the line, hand it to a buddy if needed and always have a visual is your reg is leaking on pony, less entanglement chances being 1 valve on your back rather than 2, i always sling it, but i also always dive doubles... I know people who mount it to the main cylinder, but those usually are photographers

Mounted one is basically fixed to your tank, if im slinging you can clip it on to the line, hand it to a buddy if needed and always have a visual is your reg is leaking on pony, less entanglement chances being 1 valve on your back rather than 2, i always sling it, but i also always dive doubles... I know people who mount it to the main cylinder, but those usually are photographers

My question does not pertain to back-mounting. My understanding was that "slinging" refers to rigging the bottle for a rudimentary sidemount carrying position, as one would with a stage or deco bottle. What I am curious about is the distinction (if there in fact is one) that is now made between a slung bottle and one that is properly sidemounted.

PM Dumpsterdiver for instructions on how to back mount a pony to your tank. I prefer to sling mine these days. I solo dive thus the pony (sometimes). If I need more air than I can carry in a single tank then I go to independent doubles. For years there were arguments about how dangerous and old fashioned independent doubles were until side mounting became the latest fad and so now it is okay. Actually, it was always okay and they just did not realize it. That is a good thing about being in a sport or advocation for a long time, you get to see the fads come and go and what works, always works and tends to stay around or gets rediscovered like it is the newest flavor of ice cream or something.

N

PM Dumpsterdiver for instructions on how to back mount a pony to your tank. I prefer to sling mine these days.

Again, I am not at all interested in backmounting a pony bottle.

I solo dive thus the pony (sometimes). If I need more air than I can carry in a single tank then I go to independent doubles. For years there were arguments about how dangerous and old fashioned independent doubles were until side mounting became the latest fad and so now it is okay. Actually, it was always okay and they just did not realize it. That is a good thing about being in a sport or advocation for a long time, you get to see the fads come and go and what works, always works and tends to stay around or gets rediscovered like it is the newest flavor of ice cream or something. N

Is this a very roundabout way of saying they are the same? : P

I have never seen a side mount pony. Side mount of a bailout bottle or stage etc can be done in multiple ways but the tank generally is parallel to the body up under the armpits.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

If you are using a multipurpose BC such as an SMS 100 for single tank backmount, you can use one of the bungies to pull the pony up a bit tighter.

Slinging and sidemounting are different, although sidemounting doesn't usually apply to a pony bottle. But I guess if the pony bottle is 30 or 40 cf, it can apply. Slinging involves front mounting by using top and bottom clips to a chest and waist D-ring. The bottle rides underneath the diver, but should not be hanging down. Sidemounting involves rigging a bottle to be on the side, in line with the body and tucked in tightly. It generally involves the use of a butt plate for the bottom clip and bungees for the top of the bottle to hold it high on the diver's side under the armpit.

Is that what you were looking for?

Hmmmm, if I were to sidemount a pony bottle, it would need to be an Alu 40, which would ride in a similar manner as one of my Alu 72s. Done properly, the pony would ride more in parallel to my torso, and would be more streamlined. Side slung tanks ride valve down and butt up because of the way they are clipped to the harness.
Now the question for the OP is what kind of harness will you be using? Is there a way of using a loop of bungee to pull the tank up and back toward your armpit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While not truly sidemount, I do use a sidemount bungee with mine. Like this...

image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom