She said I had to take it all, what did I get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxE

Contributor
Reaction score
I found a local add for some gear, there was an out of hydro steel tank that looked interesting. Seller would not break up the gear she wanted it all gone, I made an offer on what I would pay for the one tank I wanted. I ended up with the whole lot. Not sure what all I got. Some old regs and old ranger BC and a steel backplate with no identifying marks (they said from a company in San Diego). Does anyone know anything about what I got and if it has any value. I may keep the backplate but want to sell everything else if it is useful to anyone, but don't know what it really is or a value.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
Bit hard to tell too much from the photos. The regulator looks to be in poor shape, and may cost as much in servicing to get it fully functional as you would get after for selling it. BCD looks to be in decent nick, but if it is old there is a limit to how much you'll get on Craigslist or eBay for it. Backplate looks to be solid, and they are pretty functional bits of kit, so it probably holds value.

But if you got a decent price on the steel tank, then it is all just gravy on the top anyhow presumably?

It is fun buying up old lots of unused gear and sorting through them. But in my experience there is usually more trash than treasure.

Hi

Pics 2, 3 and 4 are a MR12 MKIII, MR12 1st and MkIII second. I expect it is from the 80s with an interesting purge button. The MR12 is a balanced diaphragm reg. I have one from early 80s. There is a bit of info on these boards, Mine still works, I replaced the HP poppet, it takes a trident part. Also replaced the second stage poppet again a trident part. Both were available on ebay. The older first stages do not have a replaceable seat, if it is corroded it me be un-serviceable.

I expect Pic one is a basic Mares second stage, parts are probably sourceable.

Would I dive with it... probably not.

---------- Post added May 11th, 2015 at 02:16 PM ----------

The BC looks to have a Scubapro Air II, or a very similar inflator/alternate air. If its a Scubapro parts area available. You need to check for an inflator hose that will fit it. These types of inflator need a higher air flow hence use a different fitting to a standard BC.

If you can get it all serviced cost for service can be easily $250-$300 ..or more..May be worth it to you if you paid a minimal amount to begin with

I was happy with what I paid for the PST HP 80, the lucxfer AL 80 was a good bonus, the SS backplate sweet, and the 30lbs of lead... I think I did well. I'm really looking to find out who made the Backplate. I will sell or trade and of the the other stuff for a song and dance.

If that's an Atomic first stage, you got another bonus.

The reg in pic 6 looks like a T1x which was the intermediate between the T1 and T2 circa 2002 or a little earlier. It's in this review: The Mother of All Reg Reviews | Scuba Diving The 2nd stage in pic 8 is definitely theirs, I can tell by the grey insert on the AFC knob plus they're notorious for the purge cover rotting after about a decade. I don't believe they changed the size so a current one from a T2 should work.

You still see them on eBay used for between $3-400 - there's a few listed in our classifieds also.

I believe the T1x retailed for around $1199 back in the day. Atomic doesn't really discount. I bought it's replacement - the T2 around 2005 for $1399. [user]scared silly[/user] would likely know more about it, he services/resells them.

If it's serviceable, depending on what you dive now, it may be the best breather you own now. That reg compares favorably against a Scubapro MK25T/S600T - performance and price-wise. Subjectively I think it's a little better - I tried both b4 buying Atomic.

The Ranger is the previous generation - I have one almost identical to it. Bought it around 2005 but Zeagle sold that model until about 2010? or so. I think they were $649 new. Used they sell $200-400 on eBay. Should you want to use it and swap back to a conventional inflator, Zeagle Express sells the whole thing for $132. Including the inflator hose and shoulder connection.

Last edited:
The Atomic 1st stage is chromed brass by the look of it, not Ti--likely a B1 or Z1. The 2nd stage needs a new cover (possibly a new diaphragm if it was damaged, probably OK if not though, as the silicone AA uses seems to resist rot); all told the Atomic is probably worth ~$250-$300 in working condition. How much it'll cost to service depends on who does it and what they charge for the bits necessary to refurbish the 2nd stage, as well as whether the 1st stage needs a newer piston.

Everyone has been spot on

MR12 first stage and various seconds. Great first stage - get it serviced and use it in the garage to inflate tires.

Ranger BCD - excellent BCD, bit bulky did it come with the weight pockets ?

ScubaPro AirII - 3rd or 4th generation

Atomic Reg - Old B1 or Ti2. Early generation chrome plate brass with the old sharp piston (tends to have IP creep).

Backplate - who know who made it.

As for serving the Atomic reg. It needs a fair amount to update. The first stage would need the piston upgrade and well as the std. over haul about $100 in parts. The same with the second stage std over haul plus a color kit, probably a new hose. If sealed, $100 worth of parts. Plus the labor. At that point it is a B2 and sells for what is posted above.

The Atomic 1st stage is chromed brass by the look of it, not Ti--likely a B1 or Z1.
I think you're right. I was fooled by the manual. Image 9 seems to be showing B1. (T1x) but they probably had one manual for both. Still going to breathe the same after service...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom