Beuchat or Oceanic???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

din4225

New
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm a newbie diver and I want to assemble my equipment (one of my consideration is price =D)

So i'm thinking of Oceanic:

Oceanic Flex 2 BCD
Oceanic GT3 CDX5 Regulator
Oceanic Alpha 9 Octopus
Oceanic Veo 1.0 Computer

or Beuchat

Beuchat 'Voyager 2g' Dive Computer
Beuchat 'Masterlift X-Air Light 2' BCD
Beuchat VR200 HF Regulator
Beuchat VRT Soft Touch Octopus
Pro Blue Pressure Gauge

I've used the oceanic set before and kind of comfortable, though I would like to have a wrist computer and gauge which is a + for the beuchat.
Any suggestion on these two?

You realise you don't have to buy all your equipment from one manufacturer don't you?

You can mix and match to suit yourself and your budget. If your LDS is pushing you towards a single-brand package then do some research to find out if what they are offering you is genuinely the best price.

Another consideration is,.... unless you are mechanically adept, can get the parts & figure out how t service it,..... can the equipment be serviced in your area (as far as you are willing to drive)? Or are you willing to be without the equipment for a while to allow shipping, service & shipping back?

I personally would pick Oceanic over Beuchat because I believe they have a larger worldwide dealer network so service/parts availability is probably better. At least here in the U.S. that's the case. I travel a lot in the western hemisphere and I see a lot of Oceanic gear used as rentals.

I assume because you're considering Beuchat you're not US based. It's not a real popular line here. If you have a nearby dealer, Cressi is also a good value for the money. Or SubGear - the lower end division of ScubaPro. Any of their dealers can work on either. They have some good pricing and I've been told SubGear regs are discontinued re-branded Scubapro models. You could also look at a Scubapro MK2 Plus - classic downstream design - if the reg fails, you'll still get enough air to breathe on to surface. With an R195 2nd stage they're $339. LeisurePro also has a Mk11/R195 for $369 - it's a lot better reg than the Oceanic. Scuba Pro MK11/R195 Regulator 12.197.000 Same price everywhere - Scubapro sets it thru their dealers.

If you want the VEO with a separate hosed pressure gauge you can do that within the Oceanic line for $120 more also.

Here's my example based on U.S. pricing:

Oceanic SWIV Pressure Gauge Only, Metric 04.1377.07 - $109
Oceanic VEO 1.0 AIR/NITROX Wrist Dive Computer 04.3005.36 - $299

compared to the VEO 1.0 console which sells here for $389. As mentioned above, an $80 pressure gauge from Sherwood works just as well. Not much savings but it helps. Another option is the Hollis DG03 - Hollis is the technical division of Oceanic. It's $250 plus you can later add the transmitter for full Air-Integration for $329 more if desired. One thing some people do with a wrist mount computer is buy a small "brass/glass" pressure gauge and put it on a short hose. Those start about $60. https://www.divegearexpress.com/dg03

If you're not set on Oceanic, Dive Gear Express is salling the Zeagle N2Ition 3 computer for $180. It does more than the VEO but is probably a closeout. It's a 3-gas computer so could be used for more technical diving and also has a digital compass. i don't need one but will likely get one soon.
https://www.divegearexpress.com/zeagle-n2ition-3-gas-dive-computer They ship worldwide also.

I don't follow Oceanic regs well enough to comment on your specific choices.

I suggest possibly a back-inflate BCD instead of a Jacket design also. Many people learn on Jackets since that's typically what they rented/used during classes. Many later switch to back-inflate designs. Of all my friends who dive - all have. One switched back to her jacket because she liked the bigger pockets. But as a DM she carries a lot of junk. In the Oceanic line that's the Excursion or the Atmos. If you mostly dive warm water/plan to travel look at a travel BC also. They're lighter, have less lift and fold smaller. Some to look at - Aqualung's Zuma, Hollis Ride, Scubapro Lighthawk or Zeagle Covert. All will be cheaper than the Flex2.

my .02

Last edited:
Thanks!
Did buy oceanic (most of them) and a wing type as well (excursion) and it was awesome =D

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom