Left handed and wrist slate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mania

Cousin Itt
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a question.
I'm left handed. On my left forearm I have a compass. On the right one - a computer and a watch.
So there is no more space for the wrist slate. I can't have it on my left forearm - as most of you do - because I can't write with my right hand.
Do you see any solution???? I'd be grateful for some ideas. The only one I have now is to have it on my right leg. :wink:

Mania

Move the watch to your left arm, or put it in a pocket. There are also wrist slates that have slots cut in them for compass/computer straps. Too long for me, but may be an option. I never wear a watch, but frequently have two computers and still have room for the slate.

MD

As well as moving the watch over/away, why dont you put your wrist slate on the opposite side of your forearm (ie computer on wrist like a watch would be worn and wrist on the underside (palm side)) and write on it there? I see several folks with two computers strapped on their right arms (tech divers for redundancy) and they are offset so a twist of the arm will show you both displays - solution to limited wrist space.

Just bought a wrist slate myself, looking forward to using this weekend - however i am ambidexterous and could put it on either arm, but for simplicity will stick it on my left (as i am slightly faster writing with my right).

Lately I almost lost my computer so I don't want to have at the wrist - forearm seems safer. But moving a watch which is a back up for computer to the left hand may be a solution. Or using the palm side (it didn't cross to mind).
The more I find about diving the more obvious is for me that diving gear is made strictly for right handed... and nobody thinks about left handed
Mania

:lightbulb: I thought that the little slot and strap was supposed to be a redundant attachment! I read this thread mainly thinking it was as serious as a "left-handed smoke shifter", but I ended up learning something. I'm going to have to check it out when I get home. I only used it on a half-dozen dives so far -- wrist(forearm) slate, compass, watch on left; dive computer on right. I normally wear the dive computer (Suunto Mosquito) as a watch on my left, but moved it to the right after the second dive when it became obvious that I couldn't operate the BCD inflator/dump and see the comp on the left.

-Rob

MechDiver:
Move the watch to your left arm, or put it in a pocket. There are also wrist slates that have slots cut in them for compass/computer straps. Too long for me, but may be an option. I never wear a watch, but frequently have two computers and still have room for the slate.

MD

Mania - just be careful putting anything with metal parts (ie - dive watch) near your compass. Have you considered wetnotes? I used to have a slate - I abandoned it for wetnotes. Much better, IMO.

Right now I have a classic slate and I keep it in the jacket's pocket. But I'm seriously considering wetnotes.
The major problem is that - wrist slate is very easy to DIY (all you need in fact is a piece of PCV pipe) which means it's cheap while wetnotes do cost.....
Mania

Before I got my integrated computer I straped my wrist computer to my console, there was an extension on the back half so I didn't cover anything. Worked good for me and would give you more arm space.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom