Free Diving gear vs. Scuba gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GregA

Reaction score
I'm taking my first scuba courses in November.

I've been freediving for a while and own all Omer gear. Masks, Snorkels, and Fins.

However, everything I own is "free diving" equipment. Do I need to purchase new gear for Scuba? Will my "free diving" fins be too long for Scuba and get in the way or is it all pretty much the same? Mask etc.

Also, can anyone recommend a good website to purchase Omer gear from. I no longer live near the coast so dive shops are few and far between. I may have to go online to purchase new toys.

Thanks and can't wait to stay under water for mare than a minute.

I don't care for freediving fins for SCUBA, but some of my friends love 'em. It's up to you, if you like the performance you get, stay with 'em.

I've used nothing but freediving fins for my last 2500 dives, love em!
Masks...personally i prefer the small volume of a small mask similar to a freediving mask. If you are used to a small volume mask i think you would want to use it for scuba as well. Very comfortable.

As for a snorkel. Snorkels are for snorkelling, not scuba. After your open water class put it in your BC pocket or strap it to the tank or leg. Leaving it on your mask is silly unless you have some long surface swims for some reason or another.

Different strokes for different folks. . .

I dove with a pair of Omer ice fins when then the were first released (pre millenium). I have since switched my blade selection, but if you have the legs to kick them without cramping they are great.

scubaperro:
whats more fun scuba diving or free diving

That's like asking what's more fun football or soccer. Two completely different things no right answer.

As far as the gear is concerned, I've never been a big fan of long fins for scuba. I've got a pair of Cressi Gara's for freediving wouldn't really want to use them in scuba though. I

use the Minima mask in freediving, great low volume mask but not the kind of visibility I'd want for scuba. Low volume is a must in freediving, not a big of an issue in scuba where the air required to equalize your mask isn't an issue.

I'm assuming you use a standard J snorkle w/ no purge valves or anything for freediving. If you are going to be having long surface times while scuba diving and are already comfortable with the J just stick with it. They will always be superior to those long floppy multivalve snorkles you see everywhere anyways. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom