Wet suit and BC recomendations...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

newbie in TN

Reaction score
HI ALL!! I have just gotten certified and am hooked!! I had a hard time with the wet suit and BC durring my certification, and sometimes it caused me to have a really hard time breathing. I think it was probably because I was not wearning gear made for a woman, I finally had to unzip my suit at the top a little so that I could breathe easy. I am about 150 lbs, 5'9' with a 36 inch chest. Do any of you have any suggestions??

Shanna

I don't really have any wetsuit advise, but as far as bc's go, have you ever thought of a backplate/harness and wing set up? Its feels like you aren't even wearing anything and you don't have to worry about anything being strapped across your chest.

I've figured out what a backplate is....but where could I see (picture/diagram) what wings look like....I'm assuming they're some kind of buoyancy device?

Thanks!

Yes, wings are a bouyancy device. Here is a link to what a backplate, harness, and wings set up looks like (DIR).

(http://www.gue.com/equipment/buoyancy.shtml)

As you can see from the pic this set-up is on doubles. There is also a single tank wing for recreational diving.

(http://www.extreme-exposure.com/halc/buoyancy-18spec.shtml)

The picture of the single tank wing isn't as good, but you get the idea. I'm getting ready to buy one any day now.

If you have any questions about this kind of set-up I'll try to help you out.

I'm also tall and the only wetsuits that I felt really comfortable in were Oneil. You can get them in a "tall" cut, but I found the regular cut to be good. Not so good on the ego though...I wear a sz 6 in clothing and my suit is a sz 10, but it fits and is very comfortable. If I hadn't found the Oneil, I'd have settled for th Bare "tall" size which I thought fit pretty good.

I really wanted a women's BC but ended up getting a Zeagle Scout and I love it. The back floatation is great and it's got weight pockets on the back by the tank as well so I can get evenly balanced. I did my course with a Zeagle Ranger and didn't like it at all. It was just too much BC for me. The Scout is more compact and it is great for travelling too!

Well, I recently purchase a BARE shark attack 2mm shortie. I love it, I found it fits just where it needs to...and doesn't confine me where I don't want it to.:)

Well, you are in TN, which sounds kinda warm. Do you just need a shortie or a full-suit? I like my new Henderson hyperstretch 5mm. I can add fleece "underwear" if I need more, but 5mm may even be a bit much for your circumstances. Because you don't need much thickness, your options are wide open. I have to base that choice on which suit makes me feel less like the Michelin Man. A woman's BC is covered in another thread & I can't improve on their testimonials!

Based on discussions with my wife and personal observations, I recommend you try a custom wetsuit. There are a few makers out there. We've had good luck with www.wetwear.com in Florida. Terrific suits. Fit perfectly. The Seaquest Diva seems to be raved about by every woman I've met who owns one. Check them out. BP and wings is another way to go. You can research this board and there has been a tremendous amount of discussion on the Rodale's board also. If you're doing warm water diving, single tank, it looks like the solution is an aluminum BP from any maker (Fred T and Halcyon are recommended), with Diverite weight pockets, with a 27 pound lift wing from Halcyon. Moxie

I ended up with a Seaquest Eva. I also liked teh Diva...butthe EVA has an easier cummerbund adjustment and I didn't need teh "bra" that is part of teh Dive...however...both fit great and are really comfortable for a woman.

Wetsuits: the wife and I just bought his and hers 3/2 mil wetsuits by bare. Its there new this year model with extra streatchy material where ladies want it, bust and hips. For the men its in the shoulders. Canadian made so your us dollar should go far. I recomend the dive shop where bought our gear and they ship to the us. Contact me if you want the lead.

BC: she did a few dives with a scuba pro lady hawk. Found it way above rental quality vest style. Liked it alot. Then the tried dive rite transpac 2. Bought it on the spot. Loves it. Since it is unisex it may be underrated as a BC for ladies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom