Misc. DIR gear questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

metridium

Reaction score
1. The ziptie on one of my scouts lasted less than forty saltwater dives (less than a year). Should I switch to #24 cave line? How long would you expect it to last?

2. SPG - any particular model? Sources? Approximate cost?

3. P-valve placement - route to same side (for minimum tubing) or to opposite thigh (to avoid kinking the surgical tubing)? Does the bolt use a commonly available o-ring?

4. Z-knife on belt, shears in drysuit pocket? Are shears on upper webbing or normal dive knife on calf ever acceptable?

5. Anyone here use the Halcyon Surf Shuttle or Diver's Life Raft?

lasted < 40 dives? Cripes. You are using NYLON rather than
plastic, correct?

Originally posted by Green_Manelishi
lasted < 40 dives? Cripes. You are using NYLON rather than
plastic, correct?
Black ziptie (same as on reg mouthpieces), as delivered from the diveshop.

metridium,

I switched from zipties to nylon line on my backup lights, because the trimmed ziptie ends catches in the bicycle tubing on the webbing. If you use line, use a dob of Aquaseal or superglue (UP suggested that one), or melt the knot with a lighter, to stop it coming undone. Don't know how long it lasts, but I think it's better than a ziptie.

Ben

Originally posted by metridium
1. The ziptie on one of my scouts lasted less than forty saltwater dives (less than a year). Should I switch to #24 cave line? How long would you expect it to last?

2. SPG - any particular model? Sources? Approximate cost?

3. P-valve placement - route to same side (for minimum tubing) or to opposite thigh (to avoid kinking the surgical tubing)? Does the bolt use a commonly available o-ring?

4. Z-knife on belt, shears in drysuit pocket? Are shears on upper webbing or normal dive knife on calf ever acceptable?

5. Anyone here use the Halcyon Surf Shuttle or Diver's Life Raft?
1. use line looped through several times and then tied off... put a drop or two of superglue on the knot and it is permanent. Still I am surprised that your nylon zip tie let go.

2. Prosub nickle plated brass, $65. Mares mini SS, $100. Diverite nickle plated brass $100~$125. I have several DR and several prosubs for deco bottles.

3. ?? Opposite thigh from.... never mind I don't want to know. Yes, O-rings are commonly available. Oh , wait on the P-valve tubing... left thigh half way between front and inside... leave tubing long... loop it up and then down to the upward facing cath. unless you want to do it another way... which is fine too.

4. small knife on belt, shears in left pocket.... no - no on the other.

5. I don't but then we are not diving in surf here.

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
1. use line looped through several times and then tied off... put a drop or two of superglue on the knot and it is permanent. Still I am surprised that your nylon zip tie let go.

3. Oh , wait on the P-valve tubing... left thigh half way between front and inside... leave tubing long... loop it up and then down to the upward facing cath. unless you want to do it another way... which is fine too.
1. I was surprised too; thought I'd lost an $80.00 light. :eek:

3. Under what circumstances would one have it placed on the right thigh?

3. Under what circumstances would one have it placed on the right thigh?
Ooohh... I can think of so many one liners for that... but no sir...not me... in reality...

I can think of no good reason why you couldn't place it on your right thigh.... nor do I want to imagine any reason why that might be necessary instead of your left thigh.... what ever you prefer.

:)

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

I can think of no good reason why you couldn't place it on your right thigh.... nor do I want to imagine any reason why that might be necessary instead of your left thigh.... what ever you prefer.

:)
So it makes absolutely no difference, great. Nice to know before puncturing the drysuit. Thanks, UP.

I'll keep an eye out for one of those ProSub SPGs. Thanks again.

So it makes absolutely no difference, great. Nice to know before puncturing the drysuit. Thanks, UP.
Just because I can't think of a reason one way or the other doesn't mean there isn't one....

Shoot I just installed my own P-valve a few months ago after years of p..... after years of not having one... so I am no expert...

I put mine in the left leg like a good boy cause that's where I saw all the others had 'em....

None of this living on the wild side ~ P-valve on the right side stuff for conservative old Uncle Pug.... no way....

1. Years ago, zip ties used to be non DIR except for the mouth piece. Maybe that has changed.

2. I hear that the guys of the WKPP use Uwatec SS SPG's for their primary and Oceanic plastic SPG's for stages/deco bottles. I use an OMS SS gauge and plastic on my deco bottles.

Take care.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom