Ear Equilazation Products...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UltimateMonky

Registered
Reaction score
I was trying to find something that might help ease ear equlization. Every now and agian my ears don't want to equalize and I have to go up some, or sit there untill they do, it can kill my dives some times. Usually doesn't affect me untill 50-60ft, but it really is annoying when you have another 30-40 feet to go.

I've seen some goggles that have something on them to go over your ears or something, that is supposed to eliminate it, but I don't know how well they work.

Thanks,
Will

I think the ear covers are to keep water out of your ears. They don't block the pressure. If they did, you would get a reverse squeeze as you descended. Basically you need to make sure that you don't have any congestion before you dive, and that you go down slowly enough to be able to stay ahead of the squeeze. It just takes practice.

Masks that have the ear cups help equalize your ears.

Equalize soon and often is probably going to take care of your problem.

Other than the comfort of keeping cold water off the eardrum how would they help equalize the middle ear (which occurs via the Eustachian tube)? If you had a perforated eardrum then they would allow equalization and perhaps diving that would not be possible normally.

There is a tube that goes from the mask to the ear cup allowing the pressure on the inside and out side of the ear drum to be more equal. Yes, you still have to equalize but they do help. I know several people that use them. No they don't have to seal tight but it helps.

Looking at that design, it appears that those would just keep water off your ear. Not to say that wouldn't help, as cold water does make equalizing harder, and as someone mentioned, it would allow diving with a punctured eardrum.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=ProEar

If you want to read more. I tried to find the manufacturer with no luck.

The ones that I know that use this type of mask have troubles in cold or warm water. Most started using it shortly after they started with the pool training.

crpntr133:
There is a tube that goes from the mask to the ear cup allowing the pressure on the inside and out side of the ear drum to be more equal...
Nope, physically impossible. The equalization plane is between the mask and the ear cups via a one-way mask to ear cup valve (subsequent ascension pressure in the earcups leaks out around the seals as does mask clearing pressure). Equalization of the middle ear is not involved unless you do an equalization maneuver such as a Valsalva as you would anyway or if have a TMP. Any perceived aid in equalization comes from the comfort and relaxation factor of not having cold water directly against the eardrum. It is of no value if your Eustachian tubes are not clear.

That being said, it is a clever product and generally does what it is supposed to do but like a mask you can get a little water in the ear cups but you can clear them the same way you would clear a mask. Combined with Doc's vented Proplugs (which would stop the small amount of water you could get inside from entering the ear canal when turning your head because with the earcups there is no pressure gradient to open the vent to any water in the earcup beyond gravity) you could indeed dive with a perforated eardurm. Not that I would recommend doing that but you could if you really needed to.

I have used the pro ear for a couple of years and it has helped me. It is not a cure all
product but it does help. One other thing that it does is to help people that has a tendency to get a ear infection, by just keeping the water out

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom