A Complete Gear-Up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

samoyed35

Reaction score
I am getting ready to do a complete gearing up. I have been checking pricing and availability on everything: BCD, 1st & 2nd Stage Regulators, Octopus, Gauge Console, Computer, Tanks, Knife, Compass, Wet Suit, Boots, Hood, Gloves, Fins, & Watch. So far the best results have come from LiesurePro. I would like some input on this vendor. Would you recommend them? Which other vendors should I check out? :06:

I looked at LeisurePro as well. I wound up buying from Scubatoys.com and getting a better deal than I would've had with LP. Regs, octo, BC, computer, and various goodies were cheaper (especially when you're going for all of that equipment at once) and I got the piece of mind talking to a nice guy on the other end.
They'll match any price LP advertises and you get the manufacturer's warranty to
boot. Pretty hard to beat and there's no nagging feeling that it might have been better getting your stuff elsewhere.

I'll second crazyitalian, and add that Leisurepro.com will most likely work fine for you. I've ordered from them before I found Scubatoys and when Scubatoys didn't carry what I wanted, and am happy with the prices and product from them. HOWEVER, if you do a search on the forum on leisurepro and scubatoys.com, this issue has been covered many, many times. LP items are covered by their in-house warranty, not factory.

Scubatoys sells most of the same stuff, but with full factory warranty. They also price match LP (sometimes can't post the 'real' price on the net due to manufacturer's regulations, nor can they advertise they carry certain brands on their website). Their customer service is the best you'll find anywhere. Call, talk to Larry if you want the boss and an all-around good guy. He'll set you up right. Tell him you are on scubaboard and heard good things... who knows, maybe he'll create some kind of 'friends and family' discount?!! No matter, he'll be as cheap or cheaper than LP, with factory warranty. Other than supporting your local dive shop, it's a great way to go.

Hey, if you want to really "look" at some of the things you will be buying, have Larry hold them up to his web cam. You can control a camera in his shop via his website. He can show you features almost like you were in the store, while describing it over the phone. Pretty neat feature.

And if you don't believe me or want more opinions, try this link:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=301

Should take you to the kudo's section of the forum. Read all the positive reviews on scubatoys.com... you'll get the picture.

Have fun shopping!

Jeff

Hey, I'm pretty much in the same boat you are in. I have been doing a lot of reading and shopping and comparison for pretty much a total gear package. So far, I am leaning the most towards Scubatoys.com and I have never bought anything from them. They are so highly recommended and I have communicated with them and they seem very nice. Best of all, they are manufacturer authorized retailers for everything they carry where as LP is not, so you take your pick.

Having said that, when buying a package that big like you and I want to do, I believe dealing with a place that can negotiate with you on price will provide you the best deal. If you buy item by item, or let's say from a call center rep at an internet retailer, they may not be able to do better than the advertised price. Finally, assuming all else is equal, my comfort level of dealing with someone that I feel good talking to and feel that they are servicing me well is usually worth a premium for me.

Post back and let me know what you decided to do and what you got.

I've ordered several accessories from LP, and never had a problem. However I'm not crazy about the idea of buying the big stuff (regs, bc, wetsuit,tanks) over the internet. I would recommend checking out your local dive shop. That way they can answer your questions on what to buy, give recomendations, and if you have problems its easier just to go to the shop than it is returning mail order. Plus when I bought all my regs, bc, fins, tanks, ect. I recieved a very nice discount. Not to mention I get free tank fills at the shop. So thats my 2 cents.

I recently bought all my gear in the span of a few months and managed to keep it pretty cheap (as SCUBA gear goes). Got my gloves, booties, hood, fins, and mask/snorkle from my LDS doing their yearly rental gear sale for dirt cheap. BC and wetsuit from Triple-L (www.triple-l.biz). 1st and 2nd stage with gauges and octo from scubaboard classifieds for a good price. Computer and most of my accessories from Larry at scubatoys. He cut me a hell of a deal on an Aeris Atmos 2 (cheaper than leisurepro). I did order a few things from leisurepro than Larry didn't have and have had no problems with them i just like Larry/scubatoys for the amazing friendliness. Overall i just kept my ear to the ground but it did take a couple/few months to piece it all togethor.

:cwmddd:

Larry been berry berry good to me.

ScubaToys.com

I've ordered from Leisure pro before without problems. But I also didn't realize that things ordered from there typically don't include the manufacturers warranty and also may not include a manual (because they buy items overseas, etc). Their own website says this about warranty and manual. I've just been lucky that I haven't needed the warranty on the items.

While I've never bought anything from Scubatoys before, people here have a very high opinion of them and I've never heard anything wrong about them. If you are in DFW, then I would definately look them up.

The only reason that I've never bought anything from them is that my LDS has prices that are the same as ScubaToys (and others) or cheaper and I get great service from them. If they aren't cheaper, then they will give your a price match guarentee. So I can't loose.

I still wouldn't mind stopping into their shop sometime the next time I'm in Dallas.

-mike

I am very new to Scuba but have found my LDS to be more than nice and have a very good return policy also. It is 30 days....no questions asked. Their site is www.divesports.com . (No, I am not affiliated with them) Their attitude is great, they will match prices over the net, and some nice guys to boot. It would behoove you to give tham a call.....they have made me some great deals on equipment that I have not been able to beat on the net at all....and trust me, I have looked. This gear is not cheap and while I am a new diver, it is something that I am definitely going to be spending quite some tim on this summer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom