I see the light.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CincyDave

Reaction score
Ok here it goes.

After much research and discussion I have narrowed the field.

I plan on purchasing a Zeagle Bregade, Atomic B2, Aries AI comp, and ...... what octo?

My LDS sells Zeagle, Atomic and Aries (Although I'm not buying through them) so service can be done locally. Just lest hassle than shipping.

I want to know with the above mentioned what octo should I get? I have entertained the Atomic SS1 but do I want integrated? Most of you seasoned pro say nah some say yes. More importantly wont that be in my way when using the inflator hose? So, again which octo would provide me the best performance, ease of use/service, out of the way, etc....?

Anyone have the velcro weight release on their Zeagle? Like it? Rip cord? HMMMMM.

Who uses what to keep a standard Octo out of the way? I Dont like the necklace idea.

Lastly, Cobra or Aires computer? Does it matter. One thing I do know is I dont want a Smart Com (Heard service sucks from 2 independant LDS owners who sell them).

Thanks all and I appriciate anything you have to say good or bad!

Good choices. I just purchased a Zeagle Ranger, Atomic Aquatics B2, Atomic Aq SSI, an earlier buy of the Aeris Atmos Elite, BARE Trilam dry suit, and all kinds of acessories. The SSI breathes better than the other primaries I've had, does'nt get in the way at all, quick access too. Hope you talked to Scubatoys.

CincyDave:
Ok here it goes.

After much research and discussion I have narrowed the field.

I plan on purchasing a Zeagle Bregade, Atomic B2, Aries AI comp, and ...... what octo?

My LDS sells Zeagle, Atomic and Aries (Although I'm not buying through them) so service can be done locally. Just lest hassle than shipping.

I want to know with the above mentioned what octo should I get? I have entertained the Atomic SS1 but do I want integrated? Most of you seasoned pro say nah some say yes. More importantly wont that be in my way when using the inflator hose? So, again which octo would provide me the best performance, ease of use/service, out of the way, etc....?

Anyone have the velcro weight release on their Zeagle? Like it? Rip cord? HMMMMM.

Who uses what to keep a standard Octo out of the way? I Dont like the necklace idea.

Lastly, Cobra or Aires computer? Does it matter. One thing I do know is I dont want a Smart Com (Heard service sucks from 2 independant LDS owners who sell them).

Thanks all and I appriciate anything you have to say good or bad!

Hi,

While I do dive the long hose and necklaced backup my reccomendation here is NOT intended to force you into using my current configuration, so please take my advice in that light. If I am diving with my BP/W, long hose rig and you are using your Zeagle Brigade, standard recreational rig I will still dive with you and we could have a safe and enjoyable dive.

I encourage you to purchase an octopus regulator that is exactly the same type as you have as your primary second stage. If you need to deploy it during an emergency you or your buddy will want a top quality well maintained regulator that you are familiar with to breathe off of during a stressful situation. When I dove a standard recreational style rig I used a large spherical bulb to secure the mouthpiece of the octo. I used a Zeagle Ranger Ltd. BC and placed this bulb on my right side shoulder strap on the D ring just above the buckle, the hose was routed under my right arm. This worked well and was out of the way and secure. I like the "ComfoBite" mouth piece and the spherical bulb did a good job of holding the octo in place.

As far as the ripcord style weight dump, I feel that it is vastly superior to the velcro based systems. Pulling the ripcord is simple, and once pulled the weight drops out of the bottom of the pockets and away. To dump the ripcord system you need to pull on the handle about a foot before the pockets dump. The handle is secured by a velcro wrap, but since the handle is not under any strain the velcro is not likely to fail, but even if it does you still need to pull the handle to dump weight, the handle will not "fall out" as a weight pocket would if its velcro failed.

You mention that you don't like the idea of a necklaced second stage, this is OK. I only mention this because quite possibly you do not fully understand what is involved. A necklaced second stage is only one part of a larger configuration. If you were to only use a necklaced second stage with a standard length hose on your first stage you would be asking for trouble. A necklaced second stage is used in conjunction with a long (5 to 7 foot) hose on your primary first stage, and this is the regulator you donate to a buddy if they need it. If you have donated your primary first stage (long hose) then you breathe off of the necklaced backup, it is on a much shorter hose and is intended for your use only. This type of system is sometimes referred to as "Hogarthian", named after William Hogarth Main. The hogarthian configuration also concerns itself with other equipment configuration issues beyond regulator hose length, but it is probably one of the most visible issues surrounding this configuration. There is a section here on ScubaBoard that is for divers that use this configuration. Global Underwater Explorers has adopted a particular subset of this general hardware configuration as an approved and standardized configuration for its "DIR" ideology, there is also an area on this board for information about their way of doing things.

In general I would say wait on the equipment purchases for now and rent for 25 to 50, or more if possible, dives before you purchase lots of gear, you will find that you will develop your own opinions by using different types of gear. Try to rent from different shops, therefore getting different brands to try. If you have a shop in your area that specializes in "Tech" gear they might even have backplates and long hose regulator systems available for rent so you can consider this configuration, by the way this configuration works just fine for recreational diving. Think of it not as "renting" gear but rather as "demoing" gear. Time will teach you more about what you like than what I might post here on this board ever will.

Best of luck, and happy and safe diving.

Mark Vlahos

CincyDave:
I personally don't like integrated octos. You can do a lot of searching on the board, and find detailed responses listing exactly people like/don't like them. Somewhere down the road I'd like to do more technical diving, and didn't want to buy something now that I couldn't use in the future.
CincyDave:
The Brigade will come with the Ripcord system. The Ripcord has many advantages over velco weight releases, and is simple and easy to use. It's also designed very well, and should be much more durable then a velcro system.
CincyDave:
I like simple Octo holders. They're the rubber one piece variety that cost about $1.50 at your dive shop. There's a variety of other ones, but this seems to be the easiest to use. I hate those Octo-Ball/Skum-Ball things... and the nylon/velcro ones are way overdesigned. The cheap rubber one works great, isn't tricky, and will release easily every time you need it.

I know jack about computers, so I won't make any recommendations =)

CincyDave:
Lastly, Cobra or Aires computer? Does it matter.

I’m not sure which Aeris model you’ve picked, but the Aeris “equivalent” to the Suunto Cobra, i.e. air integrated WITHOUT wireless transmitter, would be the Atmos ai. The Cobra is the more conservative of the two but you can always set the more aggressive Aeris to be more conservative. They are both good computers, easy to use and Nitrox capable; both have download capability. The Cobra is a slightly more compact package but the Aeris’s slanted design is a nice ergonomic touch. IMHO I would avoid the optional compass attachment—I find a compass on the arm much easier to use. I guess you should just pick one based on price and design features—either one would be a good choice. If I had to pick a feature that’s an advantage for me, it would be the large, easy to read display and bar graphs of the Atmos ai.

I would match the octo with the regs that you got. It makes everything easier. Unless you like a specific octo from another brand because of a particular feature, I would just keep it simple.

CincyDave:
I Dont like the necklace idea.
I thought you said you saw the light? :wink:

Hiding your octo out of the way isn't the best IMO... putting it on the end of your inflator isn't any better. Nothing beats having it right under your chin and donating the reg you are breathing.

You don't need a long hose on the primary 2nd stage to do this... just a longer than normal hose. A 40" hose works well when brought up under the right arm and into the mouth. It is easy to donate and 4" longer than the standard octopus hose.

Your back up second stage should be on a shorter than normal hose and bungeed.

An ancillary benefit of configuring this way is that you eliminate the Snag Handles, those outwardly looping hoses that many divers sport in the pictures you see around here. :D

This picture shows a diver who has his necklace loop too large and the backup reg hose is too long. Still, you can see that the hose loops don't extend out past the diver's frontal profile to act as Snag Handles.

I have a Ranger LTD and the rip cord works great. Much better than velcro.

Get another B2 as an octo. If you want a yellow octo (I don't think Atomic makes a yellow B2, get a Z1 octo. Either way you will have an octo that breathes just as good as your primary.

I have an M1 and will be getting an M1 octo this summer. I am currently using a different reg for my octo.

Kestrell:
Get another B2 as an octo. If you want a yellow octo (I don't think Atomic makes a yellow B2, get a Z1 octo.

B2 2nd stage covers are available in yellow, grey and blue. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom