emergency O2 Kits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joedelt

Contributor
Reaction score
i'm curious how many people carry O2. i've been talking to the wife and my mom about safety (my mom is clostrophobic (sp) and hates me diving).

i'm thkning about purchasing a small 02 kit to carry with me when diving....

thanks for the info

Take the class and get one...
my friend has his in his truck 24/7 and has used it twice...
well not diving but saw 2 car crunches...

well, i'm alreaady an emergency first responder...
i'm just curious how many divers actually carry a kit

Havent taken the DAN class but I now carry a kit w/ me.

Sounds like a good idea to carry one, but keep in mind that you will need to take an O2 Provider's course and be sure and tell the recipient the "This is oxygen, it will help you...blah...blah...blah" stuff. Of course there are the Good Samaritan laws but still....

WaterDawg:
Havent taken the DAN class but I now carry a kit w/ me.
Administration of O2 to someone other than oneself...technically requires training...
Purchase of O2 in many states requires a prescription to refill your tank...

I get mine thru my Fire Dept :)

Paul in VT
FF1/EMT...Hazmat/Rescue Tech

PaulChristenson:
Administration of O2 to someone other than oneself...technically requires training...
Purchase of O2 in many states requires a prescription to refill your tank...

I get mine thru my Fire Dept :)

Paul in VT
FF1/EMT...Hazmat/Rescue Tech

You wouldn't need a prescription if you get something other than medical grade O2.

Is there any problem using aviator grade O2 for emergencies? My understanding is that both medical and aviator grades are Type 1 Grade A oxygen but aviator grade is drier and that's what I use for nitrox/trimix blending.

A few Questions:

Are you shore diving and you want some O2 waiting on the beach/rocks?
Are you diving from a private boat that doesn't have O2?
Are you diving from a charter that doesn't have O2?
Would you like to have O2 around the house for migraines/hangovers?
Do you want a demand mask/regulator?
Do you want to buy a DAN kit or put a kit together with Ebay parts?
Will a "small" kit fullfill your requirements, e.g., one person on O2 for 30 min. or 2 people on O2 for 1 hour?

If you are thinking about spending $400 for a DAN kit, there are better, cheaper alternatives.

joedelt:
i'm curious how many people carry O2. i've been talking to the wife and my mom about safety (my mom is clostrophobic (sp) and hates me diving).

i'm thkning about purchasing a small 02 kit to carry with me when diving....

thanks for the info

IceDiverInCA:
You wouldn't need a prescription if you get something other than medical grade O2.

Is there any problem using aviator grade O2 for emergencies? My understanding is that both medical and aviator grades are Type 1 Grade A oxygen but aviator grade is drier and that's what I use for nitrox/trimix blending.

Well actually the purity of industrial and medical O2 is identical...The difference is in the filling process...
The reason you would NOT want to administer industrial grade O2...because of the filling technique for industrial O2...They just top off the cylinder...so if the bottle had been drained during its previous use and the valve left open...then there is no way to know if any contaminants could be in the cylinder...CO, solvents...whatever :-(

The deal with medical grade O2 is that they completely evacuate the cylinder before they are refilled...

I do not know how they fill aviator O2

Paul in VT

Stone:
A few Questions:

Are you shore diving and you want some O2 waiting on the beach/rocks
Absolutely...as well as a celphone for the Rescue Squad
Are you diving from a private boat that doesn't have O2?
Never...I bring my own rig if necessary
Are you diving from a charter that doesn't have O2?
Never...I bring my own rig if necessary
Do you want a demand mask/regulator?
As DAN says...a demand valve will make your O2 last longer

Will a "small" kit fullfill your requirements, e.g., one person on O2 for 30 min. or 2 people on O2 for 1 hour?
A Jumbo D should provide about 50 minutes of O2 to a patient with a tidal volume of 800ml with a breathing rate of 15 breaths/minute using a demand valve...you would expect about 40 minutes if used with a NRB mask at 15 lpm
Though their REMO2 product is pretty slick for extending O2 cylinder times for long offshore dive ops...

If you are thinking about spending $400 for a DAN kit, there are better, cheaper alternatives.
Absolutely...you can assemble an equivalent DAN rig cheaper than getting it from DAN

Paul in VT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom