is LDS treating me fair?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc

CCR Instructor Trainer
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
In the last year I have purchased a great deal of equipment from LDS. Because I instruct for him I get a discount but he still makes a margin from me.
In the last 2 weeks I have had a recently purchased wings/air cell start leaking and a HID light fail. The manufacturers rep says no warranty on air cell unless it's a seam not a pucture and the HID is probably a bulb failure even though it's 6 months old.
So I am OK with buying new stuff if it's not covered by warrany but 2 items in 1 week and both same brand then he wants to mark up the price over cost! I think I should get the replacement stuff at cost at least. Anyone agree with me?

Well of course I agree with you Dave. :D

BTW... Halcyon replace three 10w HID bulbs for me before I got a good one. All at no charge other than me shipping the bad ones to them.

As for the wing... where is it leaking and can you patch it?

Uncle Pug:
Well of course I agree with you Dave. :D

BTW... Halcyon replace three 10w HID bulbs for me before I got a good one. All at no charge other than me shipping the bad ones to them.

As for the wing... where is it leaking and can you patch it?
I probably could patch it. The holes are both in the lower front. It looks like a small slice but there is not a mark on the outer casing. I have no idea what caused it. What should I use for a patch?

As for the HID the dealer rep in this country may be the hang-up and not the manufacturer that is why I am with-holding the name.

Best to with hold the name in any case.

Sounds like you have a bladder inside a casing wing. If so I would check first with the manufacturer for their recomended fix and if they weren't forthcoming I would find out what is used to patch waterbeds and give it a go.

Personally....

Facilities should provide their core instructional team with either keyman pricing, or cost plus shipping costs. I do not agree at all, with a facility making a profit on active members of their instructional team.

The reason is this - your students will buy what you wear. I spend a lot of money every year, buying the latest gear, to keep it current and looking good. I buy the latest gadgets, fins, masks, lights, and whatever else we sell, to "lend" to students to try out, and to test dive it. I could never afford to do this if it wasn't at cost.

Of course, this has to be fair on both sides - I only wear what the store sells while teaching. I am knowledgeable and able to sell other products that we carry, etc.

For the bladder, and the bulb - there are things the owner can do, and the manufacturer. Bring up your sales of both of those products to the rep (you'd be surprised at what a rep will do for an instructor who generates a lot of sales of their products.).

If you just teach casually, or don't generate a lot of sales, you should at LEAST get the bulb at cost + shipping, and you should also get the bladder at the same...

First off,
Did you cause the damage to the wing? If so I would get a new bladder and be done with that.. If the wing was not damaged to you and you own more gear from this manufacturer than I would call their customer service folks and explain what you got.. Depending on the company some will fix it at little or no cost and others will charge you. You mentioned that you are an instuctor and wear their dive gear so I would think they would do something to make sure you are somewhat happy with their product..

The same goes with the dive light.. If its a bulb that's hard to call unless they know at the factory they had or are having a problem...

Remember the rep reports to a sales manger at the factory and either customer service folks or the sale manager can help you out... I would keep one thing in mind though.. If the rep is not taking care of you know, than it would be worth looking at another company to deal with...

I know Dive-Rite has maybe the best customer service in the tec industry..

Hoped this helped
Randy

Personally....

Facilities should provide their core instructional team with either keyman pricing, or cost plus shipping costs. I do not agree at all, with a facility making a profit on active members of their instructional team.

The reason is this - your students will buy what you wear. I spend a lot of money every year, buying the latest gear, to keep it current and looking good. I buy the latest gadgets, fins, masks, lights, and whatever else we sell, to "lend" to students to try out, and to test dive it. I could never afford to do this if it wasn't at cost.

Of course, this has to be fair on both sides - I only wear what the store sells while teaching. I am knowledgeable and able to sell other products that we carry, etc.

For the bladder, and the bulb - there are things the owner can do, and the manufacturer. Bring up your sales of both of those products to the rep (you'd be surprised at what a rep will do for an instructor who generates a lot of sales of their products.).

If you just teach casually, or don't generate a lot of sales, you should at LEAST get the bulb at cost + shipping, and you should also get the bladder at the same...

Really....we can to call that LDS a .........

Dave,
I don't know what kind of light you have but I have a Dive Rite with the teat tube style light head. The first time the light went south on me they said it was a bulb and I paid to have it replaced. The next time it did the same thing they replaced the cord glands and said the bulb was loose(at no charge). So I figure that was all that has ever been wrong. It has done this again to me but I have figured out what it is and fixed it myself. But I must say the manufacturer treated me well even though it was out of warranty.:D
Butch

Really....we can to call that LDS a .........
Do you realize you dug up a three and a half year old post? I'm sure he's either got his equipment issues squared away or he's moved on to another LDS or elsewhere online. BTW, you can ask him since he's still around.

Old threads say at the top (in red) how many months ago the last post in the thread was.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom