Do you need to be an authorized scubapro reapir person to repair scubapro gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drewdy

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I work at a boarding school in the bahamas where we repair sherwood and scubapro gear. I have a good amount of previous equerience repairing scubapro gear as well. However, I am not an authorized scubapro repair person. Do i leave myself and the school i work for open form a liability standpoint because we maintain and repair our scubapro gear but have no authoprized scubapro repair people??
Thanks Drewdy

Do you need to be a GM certified mechanic to replace your brake pads?

Think about your question.

No you don't. But if someone wanted an authorized repair, I imagine you'd have to be.

Drewdy:
I work at a boarding school in the bahamas where we repair sherwood and scubapro gear. I have a good amount of previous equerience repairing scubapro gear as well. However, I am not an authorized scubapro repair person. Do i leave myself and the school i work for open form a liability standpoint because we maintain and repair our scubapro gear but have no authoprized scubapro repair people??
Thanks Drewdy

I'm sure a lot of divers on the Scubaboard fix or adjust their own regulator and that OK, if you know what you are doing. But I think you would open yourself to a liability if something happen to a student at the school because you repaired his/her reg.
Now if something happen to you while you diving the only person to blame would be you.

To repair your own gear and have it malfunction, you have only yourself to deal with. If you fix a student's gear and it malfunctions, you will have to deal with the attorney representing the family. Has the school asked you to do the repairs? You need that in writing so they can't say you were doing that on your own. You really need legal advice. Why expose yourself to that degree of liability?

You can repair anything you want as long as your comfertable with your abilities. However, if your equipment is under warranty than anything done to it by someone other than an authorized repair person will void your warranty

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom