Scuba - mix or match ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubapro50

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
believe it or not at one time I thought that all my scuba equipment needed to be from the same company. When i worked around a dive shop in the 70's it was really important to sell (or push) one brand of equipment over the rest. Thirty years later I'm diving with 6 0r 8 different companies everytime I jump into the water. How important do you think it is (or does it really matter) to stay with the same brand of equipment. I currently have a Scubapro regulator, Oceanic guages, Dacor mask, Seaquest BC , ect., ect. ect. ..... seems like nothing matches these days. Many of the old diving companies are either not in business or have been bought out and are not makeing the quality stuff they did a few years ago. IF YOU HAD TO GO WITH JUST ONE BRAND OF EQUIPMENT WHAT WOULD IT BE ? Who makes the best regulator, guages, and BC on the market today. How about masks and fins ? Computers ?

I would never stick with one brand. Because companies dont have everything I want in their product line. I'm very happy to mix and match, and can't imagine it any other way.

I buy what works for me- Scubapro Mk10/G250 regs, Scubapro X-Tek BCD, Apollo Bio-Fins, Cressi Sub Big Eyes mask, Tilos wetsuit.

Dr. Bill

Well...many divers are probably diving with 6 or 8 different brands of equipment made by only 3 or 4 companies.

There are relatively few companies that actually make masks, fins, regulators, etc but a lot of companies that market rebranded products. The irony here is that while there are now comparatively more companies engaged in selling scuba gear under their banner, there are relatively fewer companies actually making the equipment.

That is probably one of major differnces between dive equipment now and dive equipment 30 years ago and one of the major reasons that the "buy only one brand" concept makes even less sense now than it did then.

If had to go with one "brand" though it would probably be Scubapro or Aqualung. Both have large dealer networks and a relatively full line of products.

Here is a rewording:

Do you see any reason/+s to having one brand of gear?

dsaxe01:
Here is a rewording:

Do you see any reason/+s to having one brand of gear?

Absolutely not. There are so many different pieces of equipment today. You can't expect one company to exceed in everything there is. It seems most companies will choose something - regs, wings, wetsuits, dry suits, etc - and work on making it the best. DUI doesn't make anything but dry suits, but a lot of divers wouldn't buy any other kind of dry suit. I started out with almost all my gear coming from the same manufacturer, but I wasn't that informed and they had what suited me best at the time. I now have equipment from about 5-6 different manufacturers, and will soon be adding to that.

ScubaPro MK25/R190/X650 AIR2 and\or Mares, Oneill Wetsuits, Mares Mask, Apollo Biofin, Sunnto or Citizen Computer, Hanes underwear

Need the R190 for training others.

Does anyone use the airsource? In case people don't know what it is....its an inflations pump and secondary mixed in one. What are your views on this piece of equipment? Is it worth buying so I don't have a secondary hose floating around? Thanks for the help!!

ScubaGir1

well I don't think I have much that matches...even my 1st and 2nd stages are different brands (DiveRite 1st, Kirby Morgan 2nd) except my fins - both my left and right fin are from ScubaPro -

I would recommend going with the same brand for both your left and right fins - but that's just my opinion :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom