questions on sherwood maximus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

largobum

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am new to this site and have found alot of great info, has anyone used the sherwood maximus and put it through its paces? My lds is offering me a deal that I believe to be awsome for a complete set-up (Maximus, Shadow + octo and compact nav-con console #cg3200 and he will throw in a padded reg bag) for less than $600.00 including the govenors cut (tax). I was able to try the regs in a pool environment and they worked fine but a great deal may not be so great in the real world. All input would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks in advance

Largobum

Time spent diving is not deducted from ones lifespan

I own two Maximuses and a few other sherwood regs and they have always performed flawlessly. The regs live up to their reputation for being bullet-proof. For the price it is the best regulator out there.

I love my sherwood gear. I took a lot of time checking things out and I agree that it is the best I could get for the money spent.

I have been using my Maximus for 10 years now with no problems what so ever. I dive cold fresh water most of the time and prefer using my Maximus with over my Scubapro MK20/G250 in a temperate climate. Two reasons, first moisture retention, second my Scubapro is a little sensitive in a colder climate and freeflows. Although the Scubapro is an easier breather I prefer the tighter feel of the Maximus in colder water, and freezing is not a problem. I could detune the G250 by way of the control knob but the Maximus wins with it‘s moisture retention.

My Scubapro MK20/G250 is about the best performing regulator there is, and in the late summer around here or tropics cannot be beat.

I also have a 20 year old Dacor Pacer XL/350 which performs very well in both cold and warm water.

What’s nice about the Sherwood is servicing is easy and cheap!

largobum:
I am new to this site and have found alot of great info, has anyone used the sherwood maximus and put it through its paces? My lds is offering me a deal that I believe to be awsome for a complete set-up (Maximus, Shadow + octo and compact nav-con console #cg3200 and he will throw in a padded reg bag) for less than $600.00 including the govenors cut (tax). I was able to try the regs in a pool environment and they worked fine but a great deal may not be so great in the real world. All input would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks in advance

Largobum

Time spent diving is not deducted from ones lifespan

In terms of reliability they're pretty much bullet-proof. In terms of breathing effort there are much better regulators on the market.

R..

The Maximus is a very reliable regulator, as are all Sherwoods. I would skip the Shadow+ and get a Sherwood standard octo. The standard is a much better breather than the shadow. I had a Shadow+ and would never have another.

keyshunter:
The Maximus is a very reliable regulator, as are all Sherwoods. I would skip the Shadow+ and get a Sherwood standard octo. The standard is a much better breather than the shadow. I had a Shadow+ and would never have another.

I agree that the Shadow+ breathes hard - very hard! I use it because it lays flat and pretty much out of the way - nothing much else to recommend it.

The Maximus has become my favorite reg because of the rather unique swivel that allows the hose to be routed underarm rather than over the shoulder. I experience almost no jaw fatigue because of the swivel and the small size of the second stage. I've used mine for about five years with absolutely no problems.

Poseidon8118:
I have been using my Maximus for 10 years now with no problems what so ever. I dive cold fresh water most of the time and prefer using my Maximus with over my Scubapro MK20/G250 in a temperate climate. Two reasons, first moister retention, second my Scubapro is a little sensitive in a colder climate and freeflows. Although the Scubapro is an easier breather I prefer the tighter feel of the Maximus in colder water, and freezing is not a problem. I could detune the G250 by way of the control knob but the Maximus wins with it‘s moister retention.

My Scubapro MK20/G250 is about the best performing regulator there is, and in the late summer around here or tropics cannot be beat.

I also have a 20 year old Dacor Pacer XL/350 which performs very well in both cold and warm water.

What’s nice about the Sherwood is servicing is easy and cheap!

I have been using a Maximus for 7 years. The thing is a TANK. It never freezes and has always been perfectly reliable. I use the Max as my primary reg in the winter diving in 35 degree water. During the rest of the year I use my Scubapro MK25/G250HP as my first primary and my Max bungied around my neck as my second primary. You can't beat how well the Scubapro breaths. However, if my Scubapro froze up I know my Max would be ready to go without any problems.

What are the coldest water temps you will be diving on a regular basis? If you will be diving in water temps warmer than 40 degrees I would suggest you go with a Scubapro. I have friends that ice dive the Scubapro's without problems as well but at least from anecdotal information it is more prone to freeze. It is defininitely more prone to freeze relative to the Maximus. It will be similar money to a Max and it breaths better.

Actually - I will be testing my Scubapro in 35 degree water temps this weekend for the first time. I am curious to see how well it resists freezing. I have not used it in water colder than 40 degrees yet.

--Matt

matt_unique:
....Actually - I will be testing my Scubapro in 35 degree water temps this weekend for the first time. I am curious to see how well it resists freezing. I have not used it in water colder than 40 degrees yet.

--Matt

FYI
Worked like a champ. I did not have any free flow problems at all. The dive was relatively short - 22 minutes. My buddy did not have heating packs in his gloves and boots :wink:

I have the AF variety of the MK25 with an additional o-ring addition to prevent the piston from 'bottoming' out in the chamber. (My tech instructor suggested this after speaking with a Scubapro tech).

Of course back to the primary topic of the thread, I knew I did not have to worry about my Max freezing up.

--Matt

I have had a Maximus for several years and love it. The comfort of the hose under my arm and the regulator position with the swivel are great. Sherwoods are great regs in general. My husband has a Brut from 1985 and uses it weekly in pool sessions. My first was a Blizzard from 1990 and is still giving weekly pool service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom