A Weighty Question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gabriel

Registered
Reaction score
Hello diving types, please can I trouble you for some advice?

I've just upgraded all my kit with new regs, console and BCD (Seaquest Pro QD+SL) and my question is this:

What techniques do you recommend to work out a good baseline starting figure for calculating my required weight? I appreciate it will change with wetsuit, cylinder etc but some suggestions for techniques to get me going for the first few dives would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

You should do a weight check in the water.

Before the dive: With full kit on, no air in your bcd and a full tank, hold a normal breath. You should float at eye level.

After the dive: With full kit on, no air in your bcd and a near empty tank, exhale. You should float at eye level.

A proper weight check is really the only way to get set up properly.

t0by:
After the dive: With full kit on, no air in your bcd and a near empty tank, exhale. You should float at eye level.

Not necessarily true t0by- this doesn't work with steel tanks. Plus, wouldn't it be a more comfortable dive if you knew the correct weight before your dive?

in water with full kit, empty BCD and hold normal breath and float at eye level is right on. But the key is, when you exhale that breath, you should sink slowly.

If your struggling to stay at the surface with a normal breath held- you're too heavy.

SF

Well, Gabe, that would be dependent upon what type of BC you were upgrading "from".
It could well be that the buoyancy characterics are very similar and no significant weight change needed. Then again . . .

I dare say your regs will effect no change at all and your console very, very little chane.

gabriel:
Hello diving types, please can I trouble you for some advice?

I've just upgraded all my kit with new regs, console and BCD (Seaquest Pro QD+SL) and my question is this:

What techniques do you recommend to work out a good baseline starting figure for calculating my required weight? I appreciate it will change with wetsuit, cylinder etc but some suggestions for techniques to get me going for the first few dives would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Your goal should be to be neutral with a near-empty tank, empty BC, breathing normally just below the surface. Then you can always achieve neutrality during the dive and can do a safety hang in comfort and ascend to the surface in complete control.

I have a question along these lines:

I have steadily reduced my salt-water weight to 8 lbs after being certified. This is an acceptable amount of weight to allow me to submerge, however, with this small amount of weight i am having difficulty "bobbing" up and down as much as 5 feet between a full breath and an exhale while underwater. What can one do about this? Go back to more weight to compensate for this?

kawboy579:
I have steadily reduced my salt-water weight to 8 lbs after being certified. This is an acceptable amount of weight to allow me to submerge, however, with this small amount of weight i am having difficulty "bobbing" up and down as much as 5 feet between a full breath and an exhale while underwater. What can one do about this? Go back to more weight to compensate for this?
One thing you want to keep in mind is that most recreational divers are taught that 3 minute 'safety stops' are a good idea at the end of their dives. These become increasingly important as the dives become deeper, or as repetitive diving occurs - especially over several days in a row - such as on dive vacations or liveaboards.

Safety stops are performed when divers are ending their dives, typically with very little air left in their tanks. Its important to be able to hold those safety stops without a great deal of exertion - IOW, to be able to be neutral at 10' with very little air left in your tank (as Donacheson noted above).

If you must 'fin' constantly to hold your stop you're too heavy. But if you have difficulty in staying down and tend to float up uncontrollably, you're too light.

When you're 'weighting yourself', try doing it with your tank nearly empty. Luxfer aluminum 80s often used by recreational divers have 'swing weights' of ~4 lbs: i.e. the weight of the compressed gas consumed (down to 500 psi) makes the tank 4 lbs lighter during the dive. (cite: http://www.divesales.com/tanks/index.html )

So, that 8 lbs you 'need' at the start of the dive when your tank is full may not allow you to comfortably hold a safety stop at the end of your dive when your tank is 4 lbs more bouyant. This can be a problem after several days of repetitive diving.

Get your weighting correct for the END of the dive. You may be slightly heavier for the start of your dive (by 4lbs or so), however it will pay dividends for holding those safety stops.

FWIW. YMMV.

kawboy579:
I have a question along these lines:

Adding weight will only make the problem worse because the additional air needed in your BC to compensate for the additional lead will become more buoyant as you ascend and less so as you descend.

Your lungs probably hold 5 or 6 liters of air - that's 10 to 13 pounds of buoyancy change as you fully exhale and inhale. Breathing normally ( about 2 liters per breath 5 or 6 times per minute) shouldn't cause any significant bobbing up or down. You can, however, increase (or decrease) your buoyancy to ascend (or descend) by breathing with fuller (or emptier) lungs.

donacheson:
Adding weight will only make the problem worse because the additional air needed in your BC to compensate for the additional lead will become more buoyant as you ascend and less so as you descend.

Your lungs probably hold 5 or 6 liters of air - that's 10 to 13 pounds of buoyancy change as you fully exhale and inhale. Breathing normally ( about 2 liters per breath 5 or 6 times per minute) shouldn't cause any significant bobbing up or down. You can, however, increase (or decrease) your buoyancy to ascend (or descend) by breathing with fuller (or emptier) lungs.

Perhaps that's the problem. While underwater, i tend to breathe much more deeply and slowly as it usually increases my bottom time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom