Full-Face Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

todive4

Registered
Reaction score
First post here, figured I'd bring up a topic that I've been thinking about for a while now. My dad and I both use interspiro full-face masks (with communications) and they are probably the best pieces of equipment we have ever bought for diving. However, I don't understand why they aren't more popular. I see very few people with them, despite all of the advantages they offer. Anyone care to talk aobut why they use or dont use them? Also, if anyone is thinking about getting them, I can probably answer most questions you might have.

I tried that Neptune thingamabob for an hour in the pool and wasn't very impressed with it. Looking down caused the reg to free flow and looking up made it like trying to breathe through a garden hose. In fact it was hard to find a position where the reg worked anywhere near good. The sales rep who was there said "ah, don't worrry, when you go deep this doesn't happen", which just gave me alarm bells. Since then I've seen someone try it on on the North Sea in 35 metres and indeed it seems to work better when you're deeper.

The communications was cool but it has a pretty big gadget-factor to me and I rather prefer not being able to talk under water. When it's necessary I just shout through my reg and it works just fine at short distance.

Anyway, that's why it's not on my wish list. Maybe your mask is much better than that but I came away from that experience wondering why anyone would buy such a thing.

R..

todive4:
First post here, figured I'd bring up a topic that I've been thinking about for a while now. My dad and I both use interspiro full-face masks (with communications) and they are probably the best pieces of equipment we have ever bought for diving. However, I don't understand why they aren't more popular. I see very few people with them, despite all of the advantages they offer. Anyone care to talk about why they use or dont use them? Also, if anyone is thinking about getting them, I can probably answer most questions you might have.

Glad you use and enjoy the Interspiro (commonly known as the AGA). Having used the AGA extensively for Public Safety Diving, I can only say that you are quite correct. It is a rugged, reliable mask. It is a little high-volume, but manageably so. It is an excellent mask for communications work!

Some folks are turned away from its use by the slightly higher need for training, and the slighty higher gas useage. I personally believe the pro's outweigh the cons. :wink:

If I may ask, which comm set-up do you use?

Rob Davie

BigJetDriver69:
R.O.,

The Neptune is nowhere near the mask that the Interspiro is. The AGA is a commercial-grade unit.

Rob

Yeah, I'm sure it's apples and oranges. If I get a chance I'll give the AGA a spin some time. No reason to write off the whole idea because of one example.

R..

Diver0001:
Yeah, I'm sure it's apples and oranges. If I get a chance I'll give the AGA a spin some time. No reason to write off the whole idea because of one example.

R..

R.O.,

There are always pro's and con's with everything, but for work with comms one obviously has to have a FFM. The AGA is a good one, and has been around a long time. It is especially good in PSD work if you get the one with the positive pressure lever.

Just for recreational diving without comms, I would find it a bit too bulky. It does have a GREAT picture window, though. :wink:

Rob

I use the buddy-phone, since its only for my dad and I to communicate with each other and we got a great deal on a pair of masks and buddy phones at beneath the sea in New Jersey. We were looking into the aquacom units but they were far too expensive... Also, after high school, I am going to be a navy diving officer and its nice to know that they use the same mask as I use now. I cant exactly do any tech or commercial diving at my age, but the mask works great for rec diving (never fogs or leaks, much more comfortable, extremely durable/reliable, ect.)

I actually dont find the bulkiness to be a problem at all, plus it's pretty convenient to have the mask and second stage connected.

todive4:
First post here, figured I'd bring up a topic that I've been thinking about for a while now. My dad and I both use interspiro full-face masks (with communications) and they are probably the best pieces of equipment we have ever bought for diving. However, I don't understand why they aren't more popular. I see very few people with them, despite all of the advantages they offer. Anyone care to talk aobut why they use or dont use them? Also, if anyone is thinking about getting them, I can probably answer most questions you might have.

Hi
I use to use a full face mask on the east coast in 32f. water.
At the time I had a cressi sub that you could fit any reg into it.
Problem was when the second stage fails you have to take the mask off and switch to your backup mask and reg.
The ice cream headache was unbearable.
That was the last time I used a full face mask.
Even now when I dive under the ice I will use a standard mask.
But I still carry my backup mask, you never know.
The only time I would use a full face mask now, would be if there was an environmental concern.
hope this helps.

I think underwater com equipment or contaminated environments are about the only valid reasons to use a full face mask. It does not work all that well for tech diving where you need to switch to deco bottles on ascent and consequently have to use a backup mask or use a gas switching block which adds additional safety concerns. And the same could be said for air sharing situations for recreational diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom