Moving up to a BP/W - needs some solid selection advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaPixie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Farmington Hills, MI --> Weeki Wachee, FL
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello Fellow SB'ers,
Well the time has come for me to move up in gear - I am looking at purchasing a BP/Wing setup (and possiably doubles) - there are so many configurations to go with and I would REALLY like to have something I can grow with - i.e, moving to doubles.

I am studying for the TDI Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Theory class - so I need to make sure I get the right setup the 1st time.

What im thinking i will go with is this:
For the Wing, BP and Harness -
http://www.diveriteexpress.com/dive_rite/packages/st1065-2.shtml
Lift bag??
Reel??
I currently have 3 regs - 1 Mares ProtonXL, 1 Mares Abyess, and 1 Mares Nicos Octo.
(Are these good enough for 100+ ft and cold water (great lakes)?? :06:
I currently have a Bare:Next-Gen dry suit (gotta find fins that fit)
1 HP 80 steel Tank.

OK. - Whats your thoughts...
My budget is under a thousand (if possiable) :eyebrow:

What you picked should do fine, but I'd go with a hogarthian harness instead of the (IMHO inferior) deluxe harness.

I'm not a big fan of the RecWing. Having used it for a while on my Transpac II, I found it to taco a bit more than I'd like with a single, and to pinch a bit more than I'd like in doubles. I ended up retiring it to the spare gear, and got myself an Oxycheq wing for the doubles and a Halcyon Pioneer for singles. Use the right wing for the job, instead of buying a wing that's okay but not great for either.

Matt's right. 2 rigs - 2 wings. I dive an Oxycheq for single and DiveRite Classic for doubles. And I would also suggest going with a Hog harness on the backplate.

I REALLY dont have the funds to get 2 of everything - at this time - i need to focus on the BP and wing that can switch over from a single HP80 to possiably 2HP 80's or 2LP60's. I am a very petite gal so i need to keep my kit compact and small.

AquaPixie:
Hello Fellow SB'ers,
Well the time has come for me to move up in gear - I am looking at purchasing a BP/Wing setup (and possiably doubles) - there are so many configurations to go with and I would REALLY like to have something I can grow with - i.e, moving to doubles.

I am studying for the TDI Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Theory class - so I need to make sure I get the right setup the 1st time.

What im thinking i will go with is this:
For the Wing, BP and Harness -
http://www.diveriteexpress.com/dive_rite/packages/st1065-2.shtml
Lift bag??
Reel??
I currently have 3 regs - 1 Mares ProtonXL, 1 Mares Abyess, and 1 Mares Nicos Octo.
(Are these good enough for 100+ ft and cold water (great lakes)?? :06:
I currently have a Bare:Next-Gen dry suit (gotta find fins that fit)
1 HP 80 steel Tank.

OK. - Whats your thoughts...
My budget is under a thousand (if possiable) :eyebrow:

If you mostly dive singles but want a wing that will do service with, for example, a twin AL-72 or 80, then that's a good wing.

I would go with the hogarthian harness.

In terms of a DSMB I just have an open ended one it works well enough for the diving I do and I don't have trouble with it accidentally dumping on me. Deploying is a snap and fiddle-free. The ones with the little nipple you need to fill with your DS inflator take longer to deploy but there is no risk of dumping. Personal choice I guess. The buddy ones with the cylinder look like the best of both worlds if you trust the cylinder to always be full when you need it and to not deploy when it would really suck.

Reel - gap spool. Idiot proof (unless you drop it....), jam proof and versatile. Personally I have a beaver puffin wreck reel which is everything taboo but works like a charm for launching an SMB.

I can't advise you about your regs but I'm not getting alarm bells.

R..

Ok, so I am the only one that says....how are you going to dive? Going techie?? Just keeping it simple?? If just simple, not 200 ft with 100 bottles hanging off you...then the adjustable harness is just fine. If you plan to go techie....then yep, prob the hog is the way to go.
rich

When going to my first hogarthian gig I missed having adjustable shoulder straps. So while it's not totally DIR - so what?

Without these adjustments, when you decend (and unless you set your setup is REALLY snug) your gear will become really lose at depth.

Some say that there is a chance they could snap... oh well... I've got two and I'm not diving caves. If it's THAT much of a concern to you, attach some backups so that if a snap DOES break, you can somehow rig a fix.

<Quote>....how are you going to dive? Going techie?? Just keeping it simple?? </Quote>

Im not going full out tech - I am doing the 150ft Advanced Nitrox/DCT so that I will have the skills once iv completed my DM (which I am also enrolled in currently)

Mostly for the experiance - I dont see my self diving that deep - that often but it is possiable...

zboss:
Without these adjustments, when you decend (and unless you set your setup is REALLY snug) your gear will become really lose at depth.

Ive never had my gear come that loose at depth before, but then again my thikest suit is a 5mil.

Go w/ whatever you like but the Hog harness IS cheaper! and you can puit the $$ you save towards a doubles wing

The bladded of the REC wing is too big for the bag, so it crumbles inside. Air get's trapped in those wrinkles. Get a single wing if you are going to do singles, or buy my REC wing so that I can get a single wing setup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom