Sausage, SMB, stop achor etc

What sort of visual signaling device do you have/use?

• Yellow sausage

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Orange sausage

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • My sausage/marker has both yellow and orange

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I have one orange marker and one yellow...one for 'I'm OK' the other for 'I need help'

• I have another combination/arrangement (please post below)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't use any

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boxcar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This post & poll is related to another thread about buying safety equiptment. I use a yellow sausage on the surface and orange marker bouy for stops as I was told yellow mean 'I need help/pickup' and orange means 'I'm here, but not in any trouble, be up in soon'

Do others follow this convention? What sort of visual signaling devices do you use?

Good point Charlie...Good advice on speaking to the boat captain as well...

I don't know that the practice I described is typical here (SE Queensland, Australia) either, but it is typical of the folks I dive with....and seemed to make sense when it was explained to me.

I just wondered how widespread this practice is...

boxcar:
Good point Charlie...Good advice on speaking to the boat captain as well...

I don't know that the practice I described is typical here (SE Queensland, Australia) either, but it is typical of the folks I dive with....and seemed to make sense when it was explained to me.

I think I would go with the recommendation of my LDS and buy as many safety add-ons as possible !!!!

boxcar:
Another thing to keep in mind is that for a lot of locations, a DSMB is a "don't run me over" signal -- a more convenient alternative than dragging a dive flag for the whole dive. In this sort of usage, color isn't all that important and you don't need a huge size.

OTOH, if you are doing deco dives with long hang times while drifting in a current, then you'll want a large liftbag or marker buoy. It's also in this sort of dive that you are more likely to need additional communication with the surface, such as yellow for emergency/need more deco gas/read the slate that I just sent up.

ScubaZone:
I think I would go with the recommendation of my LDS and buy as many safety add-ons as possible !!!!

Tsk Tsk Tsk, More shameless self promotion from an LDS owner...er, my LDS owner...we should both be working (or diving)

Charlie99:
OTOH, if you are doing deco dives with long hang times while drifting in a current, then you'll want a large liftbag or marker buoy. It's also in this sort of dive that you are more likely to need additional communication with the surface, such as yellow for emergency/need more deco gas/read the slate that I just sent up.

Yes, this is one of the scenarios I was thinking of...deco or not, in the current, ascending safely and/or stopping @ 5m (for example) it seems smart to say both "I'm here" and indicate OK/need attention...

Back
Top Bottom