Weight Distribution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbb97fxdwg

Reaction score
Hi ScubaBoarders. Just got first Wgt-Intergrated BC(Zeag/Rang). I know there is a General rule for wgt-dist. Is it 70%front-30%back or 30%front-70%back? Any other advice would be helpful. Thanks Guys!!!!!

Depends upon the tank/tanks you're diving.
It varies with individual body characteristics.
Go with 70% front and 30% rear for starters and just work on trimming yourself out.
Takes a little bit of time, but worth it.

mbb97fxdwg:
Hi ScubaBoarders. Just got first Wgt-Intergrated BC(Zeag/Rang). I know there is a General rule for wgt-dist. Is it 70%front-30%back or 30%front-70%back? Any other advice would be helpful. Thanks Guys!!!!!

I'm curious about this one too! I've tried several arrangements, but can't get it just right. I'm working on my DM cert., and need to remove my scuba unit underwater without floating me floating away, so I use some weight on my belt, right at the front of my hips. At this point, I just have trim weights in my BC (Zeagle). But, when I do the "hover" exercise, those trim weights cause me to rotate on my back. It seems that I have to add more weight/sacrifice some efficiency just to make all of my underwater tasks possible!

Take your BC off but just don't let go of it. . .

At home I dive a 7-mil wetsuit (actually a 9/7/6 mil combination) and the Zeagle Ranger. I fine-tuned the weight distribution amongst a weight belt, integrated weight pockets, and trim pockets in a pool:

In full dive gear, but WITHOUT the BCD and tank, I put enough weight in the weight belt to achieve neutral buoyancy at 14 feet (the pool wasn't any deeper). My weight belt is multi-pocketed and I next distributed the weight among the pockets for best control of attitude. That is I could swim face-up as easily as face-down. I then adjusted a little more weight forward for a slight face-down tendency. At the surface, I checked that I could keep my head above water with only very gentle finning required. Write down your weight configuration.

Next it's time to add the BCD and tank:

By the way, with my body build I am head light and feet heavy So, I moved the Ranger trim pockets from their original downward-pointing position on the bottom tank belt to the top tank belt and pointing upwards. It took a small Velcro strip to do it. This let me add trim weight closer to my head.

So back at the pool, don the BCD and tank. At first adjust your front and back weighting ratio between the integrated weight pockets and the trim pockets to achieve your preferred face-up and face-down tendencies. Again, I prefer a slight face-down tendency (anti-turtle weighting). Next, fine tune the weight distribution so that you can hover in any, or almost any, attitude (vertical, horizontal, upside-down, etc). Again write down your weight configuration.

I dive both steel 100 and AL80 tanks, so I repeated the last steps for each tank type. I also checked the weighting for each tank type with a full cylinder, and one with 500 psi in it.

The last step involves recalculating the weights for salt water instead of fresh water. (Write it down). Next, dive and see how it works in open water. You may need some final tweaking.

Hopefully, this should resolve the "separation anxiety" involved with removing your BCD underwater.

Regards,
Carbon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom