Gear setup from first stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tainosoldier

Reaction score
I have been browsing through and cannot find a mention about preference on what side to put your console on. The reason I am asking is that I just received my Oceanic Delta3 reg, Navcon console, with a CDX-5 first. They said I could have the console put on to where it would run under my left or right arms, I just finished getting my C-card OW and this is my first new gear. Is there a preference or are all instrument hoses ran to the divers left side? Everything still in the boxes, can't wait to setup and get wet! Thanks

SGT Garcia, Jose

tainosoldier:
I have been browsing through and cannot find a mention about preference on what side to put your console on. The reason I am asking is that I just received my Oceanic Delta3 reg, Navcon console, with a CDX-5 first. They said I could have the console put on to where it would run under my left or right arms, I just finished getting my C-card OW and this is my first new gear. Is there a preference or are all instrument hoses ran to the divers left side? Everything still in the boxes, can't wait to setup and get wet! Thanks

SGT Garcia, Jose

Bring your console under your left arm.

That way the hoses on the right will lead to air! If you go to recover a lost second stage you will not want to find the console or have it interfere with your search. For a similar reason wear your snorkel on the left side, you won't confuse the mouthpiece with second stages on the right. Gulp.

When we sell a package, we assemble and test everything before it goes out... and while some people do request a different setup, we always run the gauge on the left, and the primary and octo on the right. As SouthernScuba points out, there are safety advantages to this setup, and also, it's simply what people are most used to. That is the standard setup you'll see of virtually every set of gear.

Thanks alot! I know it may have sounded weird asking, but I just wanted all my troops in a straight line as I get all my gear together for myself. I put my BC together last night and I am ecstatic, I thought class was fun, nothing beats getting your own stuff and taking time to setup things the way you want, with advice from my friendly buds from scubaboard, of course :beer_yum:

SGT Garcia, Jose
US Army

This is one more reason to but locally, or at least from some place like Scubatoys, because they can help with this part of the customer service.

There are two schools of thought on this.

Console on left
pros:will not confuse with regulator
cons: I watch my computer while ascending, and I'm always hanging on to my auto inflate, because I can dump and add air from there, and thats on my left, hard to hold console and dump air/inflate with the left hand at the same time

Console on right
pros: can hold console in right hand while having left hand on bouancy controls
cons: could stuff your gauges/console in your mouth and try to breath out of them (never got much air out of my gauges) if you are freaking out.

I ran mine on the left for a while, thats how my instructor setup my gear when I bought it from the LDS, thats how I learned. I have since switched it, cause I don't like holding my console in my right hand when its coming from the left side. I have yet to ever confuse my gauges with my regulator.

Justin699:
This is one more reason to but locally, or at least from some place like Scubatoys, because they can help with this part of the customer service.

There are two schools of thought on this.

Console on left
pros:will not confuse with regulator
cons: I watch my computer while ascending, and I'm always hanging on to my auto inflate, because I can dump and add air from there, and thats on my left, hard to hold console and dump air/inflate with the left hand at the same time

Console on right
pros: can hold console in right hand while having left hand on bouancy controls
cons: could stuff your gauges/console in your mouth and try to breath out of them (never got much air out of my gauges) if you are freaking out.

I ran mine on the left for a while, thats how my instructor setup my gear when I bought it from the LDS, thats how I learned. I have since switched it, cause I don't like holding my console in my right hand when its coming from the left side. I have yet to ever confuse my gauges with my regulator.

This is why I bought a computer that can be put on a retractor and clipped to the right side of my BC. I also run a full standard console as a backup on my left side without computer.

Back
Top Bottom