What to get first

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johnny Quest

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking to get back into diving after not diving for many many years. I have never owned my own gear. But looking to get some. I cannot afford to get a complete setup all at one time. So I am going to have to get things one at a time over a period of time. Other than your mask, snorkel, fins and booties. What would be the next item I should look to get? What order should I get what or does it really matter?

Personally, and IMHO - before buying a regulator, computer, etc... by the thing that'll make you feel a lot more comfortable - a new and flexible wetsuit. Nothing beats a new suit that fits like a glove and you don't have to struggle in and out of. Then I would get a wrist mounted computer and then finally a reg.

You can always rent good regs anywhere you go.

well... if it were me, i'd go halfway with Zboss

get yourself comfortable first. this means a well-fitted BC or bp/wings and a
wetsuit

you can rent regs and gauges anywhere you go

of course, i would try to get a reg and a secondary as soon as possible, since
you really want to be able to depend on it, and sometimes weird things happen
with rented gear

I have also begun getting back into diving, after many years away. For the last 6 or 7 years I have rented all but the mask, fins etc. My first purchase was a really good prescription mask (I'm not so young anymore), followed by the regulator/computer, as that is in my opinion the single most important piece of equipment we use. I dive mostly Caribbean waters or I might have done as Zboss suggests, and gone with the wet suit. That is on my list too, but before that I am shopping for the BCD.

I almost forget to tell people to buy a wetsuit. I just take it for granted you will own your own exposure suit. (it seems kind of strange to wear someone else's suit).

After diving for a while, you have one for every water. I have 4 right now, plus 3 diferent hoods, and a drysuit. Whew.

Greetings,

After the initial layout of fins, mask, boots, wetsuit and snorkel, I went out to purchase a dive computer (Vyper wrist mount). I don't regret that purchase in the least! The computer records my dive profiles for later analysis and provided feedback regarding ascent rates and depths. I'm hoping to purshase my reg, oct, sgp along with a descent rear inflated bc shortly.

Although the gear rentals were usually adequate in Barbados, the daily hassle of inspecting and configuring by bc was a bit annoying (dive lights, shears, knife, slate, etc).

Good luck!

Jim

Wetsuit and regulator first, you can pickup all the other gear over time.The computer should be the last thing you buy, so brush up and master your dive tables like a real diver should!

I am voting for the regs and mask. I can use any bcd etc - it might not be the most comfortable, but it'll get me through a few dives.

After using a couple regs in the past several months that are not my own, I will not do so again :wink:

Hi,

My list according to MYSELF:

1. Mask and snorkel of course!
2. Fins and booties.
3. Wetsuit (I really hate to think what was done inside rentals & I really hate rashes!)
4. Regulators.
5. BC's with safety sausage.
6. Dive computer.
7. Anything else!

Cheers,

SangP

Back
Top Bottom