BCD nuts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoosier

Contributor
Reaction score

I am looking for the following nuts for BCD (Please see the attachments).

These nuts (5/16 inch inside diameter) are used in SP BCD, but I plan to apply the same nuts to other BCD for the double set up. I don’t know what is called, might be “Rivet nuts”? I need these kind of nuts in the stainless, not brass, as you may guess. I found the brass ones so far. Do you know any places to carry this kind of nuts? I don’t think that McMaster has it.

Thanks in advance,

for a second I thought this was a troll posted by one of our DIR friends here.

I am pretty sure that the nut would be referred to as a jam nut, at least thats the closest thing I can think of. When you get a name, I can help you find it, or I can get a SP schematic and see what they call it.

Thanks for your input. Yes, I think the bottom picture is a jam nuts, but I don't have a clue about the upper one yet. Wow, it is so awesom if you can access to SP schematic.
I also keep searching it around though.

Thanks again.

Justin699:
for a second I thought this was a troll posted by one of our DIR friends here.

I am pretty sure that the nut would be referred to as a jam nut, at least thats the closest thing I can think of. When you get a name, I can help you find it, or I can get a SP schematic and see what they call it.

i want to say riv-nut, but i don't think thats it either. its 7/16 thread isn't it?

I just looked at the SS set that i have here (in use), they are bigger than the picture makes it seem.

Actually, the inside diameter is between 5/16 and 3/8. I know that 3/8 hex screw can't get through the inside hole. You''re right. The outside thread might be 7/16 or around that. I don't believe that SP uses any specialized nuts. I also stopped by Lowes and Menards, but no luck. Thanks.

Justin699:
i want to say riv-nut, but i don't think thats it either. its 7/16 thread isn't it?

I just looked at the SS set that i have here (in use), they are bigger than the picture makes it seem.

you would have better luck stopping at a smaller hardware store. Lowes, Home depot and the like are not good sources for unique fasteners, i'm not suprised they didn't have it. True Value or Ace are the places you will find that stuff, if its available.

Thet almost look like the chase fittings we use to bring wiring into an electrical panel. The ones we use are galvanized though. The smallest we use is 1/2 inch. Might try an electrical or electronics part store.

hoosier:

These nuts (5/16 inch inside diameter) are used in SP BCD, but I plan to apply the same nuts to other BCD for the double set up. I don’t know what is called, might be “Rivet nuts”? I need these kind of nuts in the stainless, not brass, as you may guess. I found the brass ones so far. Do you know any places to carry this kind of nuts? I don’t think that McMaster has it.

Thanks in advance,

These are fairly common "bushings" (well the nut is just a nut) and you should be able to find them at a marine supply store or a hardware store. Stainless is harder to find but is used in marine applications hence the reason to check with marine supply stores. Good luck, PM me if you get stuck and I'll check my local shop for you.

Riv-nuts and screw posts are not designed to have a hole through them when they are assembled. Threaded or not, if it's got a hole through the center, it's a bushing.

Scubapro calls them:

21-180-106 Bushing, Threaded, and
01-121-115 Nut

They are $1.05 and $1.00 respectively.

You could get a couple of each from your local SP dealer.

Alternatively, since they basically just hold the pack together and provide a hole for the 3/8 bolts for the doubles and are under no great amount of stress, I see no reason why brass would not work. If I remember correctly, chrome plated brass bushings used to be used in that application by SP.

hoosier:

There are a variety of hex threaded bushings available in 304 stainless (and maybe other alloys as well) here:
http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=556&step=2

Back
Top Bottom