Advice on buying my first scuba setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I live in Sacramento, California and I will be attending UCSF school of dentistry next year, so I plan on spending more time diving since I will be so close to the ocean. I will be there at least 4 years so I would like to invest in my first scuba setup. As of now all I have are fins, booties, mask, and snorkel.

What thickness should I get for my wetsuit, gloves and hood? I am trying to be as economical as possible seeing as how I am a starving student, so I've been looking at a couple of packages that seem like pretty good deals.

Package 1:Mares Morphos Airtrim BCD, The Aris 4 gauge console, Dacor Eagle regulator & octopus, simple, ultra-light and top performing second stage with reinforced technopolymer construction. $550

Package 2:MARES ARIA BC, MARES MR12 AXIS PRO, MARES AXIS PRO OCTOPUS, ARIS 4 GAUGE CONSOLE, Axis Pro second stage $540

Do these packages seem like a good deal? Is either regulator better than the other? I am not sure if I should do a package deal or buy each item seperately. My biggest concern is buying a regulator that is economical but still a quality piece of equipment.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

don't try and go cheap when it comes to the reg, it's been said many times on here, it's your life support. I know 2 people with the mr12 that i dive with, one has had no problems, the other who dives more has had repeated problems with his. I pad a bit more and got the Mares V16 proton, and it has breathed great at all depths in all positions. That said, i'm looking at getting a better reg..

i like mares gear, despite their fiasco with the limited edition recently..

Give Larry or Joe a call at scubatoys, they'll make the most out of your money and point you to the right equipment for your needs/budget!

We just bought our first set of equipment from them, Joe was really helpful.

J.

Welcome to the board.
I would suggest you rent or borrow for a while and get a better feel for what you like and need. Many of us on this board prefer some form of back inflate BC rather than a jacket style. You may or may not but you are doing yourself a disservice by not at least trying some different brands and types before actually spending your money.
There are some good deals to be had on used gear as well if cost is an issue. Quality used gear is a much better value than new lesser quality gear, just have it checked by a service shop BEFORE you buy it. Fact of the matter is that you just about can not actually wear out quality gear. It fades and frays a little but is still fine to dive. (Avoid Ebay, no matter what the seller says you have no way of knowing if it's trashed without actually seeing it). I won't comment on the equipment as I have not had my hands on any of it but I would expect to pay more than that for a set of quality reg/oct/gauges. Test drive for a while, I am sure you will be happier in the end.

Before you go with a package price everything out and check online with Scuba Toys or Leisure Pro you'll get your best prices from them. Also make sure you research the products to make sure you get what you want. If you go cheap it'll cost you more in the long run when you upgrade so make sure you get what you want the first time.

UCSF offers some outdoor activites. Here are some links I uncovered:
http://www.campuslifeservices.ucsf.edu/ou/

"Scuba Certification: Have fun while safely preparing for a weekend of ocean diving in Monterey. Receive N.A.U.I. certification upon successful completion of your dives. Fee includes all equipment for pool sessions (except mask, snorkel, fins, boots, and gloves; $110-250) Equipment rental for ocean dives is available at local shops. For more information, call Outdoor Programs: 415.476.2078. Classroom/Pool Sessions (7): Tu, Th 3/17-4/7 at 6:30-10:20 pm Dive Dates: Sa-Su 4/9-4/10 COST: $159/185/209 - Parnassus, 06:30 PM - 10:20 PM. Email eeggenberger@cls.ucsf.edu. For further information see http://www.campuslifeservices.ucsf.edu."
http://calendar.ucsf.edu/index.php?action=calendar&text_only=1&timestamp=1111910400&cal_view=week

And there is or at least used to be a scuba club at the school. Look betwixt "rape prevention" and "Shakespeare Reading" on the list.
http://itsa.ucsf.edu/~diverse/studrco.html

davekeating:
I live in Sacramento, California and I will be attending UCSF school of dentistry next year, so I plan on spending more time diving since I will be so close to the ocean. I will be there at least 4 years so I would like to invest in my first scuba setup. As of now all I have are fins, booties, mask, and snorkel.

You might want to consider a used regulator.

A used first-class regulator that has been properly serviced is every bit as good (maybe better!) than the same reg, right out of the box.

Check with the shops you're considering using. They may have some used items for sale that aren't on display.

I'd buy all the personal items (mask, fins wetsuit, etc) and BC new, although if you happen to run across a BC in excellent condition, used is a possibility.

With the BC, important things to look for are how it fits *you*, and if weight-integrated, that the weights are held in by some type of positive mechanical device (Fastex buckle, etc.), and not just velcro.

Terry

NB. Once you buy it, it's used anyway :cool:

davekeating:
What thickness should I get for my wetsuit, gloves and hood?

Package 1:Mares Morphos Airtrim BCD, The Aris 4 gauge console, Dacor Eagle regulator & octopus, simple, ultra-light and top performing second stage with reinforced technopolymer construction. $550

Package 2:MARES ARIA BC, MARES MR12 AXIS PRO, MARES AXIS PRO OCTOPUS, ARIS 4 GAUGE CONSOLE, Axis Pro second stage $540

Do these packages seem like a good deal? Is either regulator better than the other?

I am not and never have been a regular cold water diver, but if you're going to be diving in that area, I can't imagine that you could get by with less than a 7mm wetsuit.

I don't know about package deals, because I prefer to pick and choose, and I don't know anything about either BC.

As for the regulators, I would suggest that you check out the articles at Scuba Diving Magazine, including their recent "Class of 2004" article:
http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/regulators/class_of_2004/

The Dacor Eagle Pro DPD (which lists for $399) was a Tester's Choice in 2003, but I don't know if that is a different model from the one you are describing, or a variation on the same model. It was rated 17 out of 20 on the simulator, and 45 out of a possible 70 on their "ergo" scores. You will need to read their articles to know exactly what those scores mean and how much they matter to you.

The Mares MR12 Axis Pro was a Tester's Choice this year and scored 19 out of a possible 20 on the simulator and 50 out of a possible 70 on the ergo score. They noted that the Mares reg that they tested was not designed to be used with nitrox, but according to Mares "there are nitrox versions available." If your plans include nitrox, that is something to inquire about. In an earlier article on "budget regulators," the Mares MR12 Axis (nothing about Pro, which may be a later variation on the same basic model or perhaps something different) was also rated a Tester's Choice and a Best Buy. I find that magazine's ratings and information very useful, but even so it is only one source of information that you should consider.

There are a number of less expensive regulators available today that are just as good as some of the much more expensive regulators being sold today, and better than a lot of the more expensive regulators available 10-20 years ago; I wouldn't worry about buying a less expensive but highly rated regulator from a quality manufacturer for recreational diving in open water. The Aqualung Calypso II is another inexpensive regulator, and in the next higher price bracket (up ~$100 more or less) there is the Atomic Z1.

On edit: But I would second Web Monkey's suggestion that you also consider a used regulator from a reputable dive shop (i.e., probably used rental gear or maybe a trade in); their rental gear should generally be durable but not top-end stuff, not too old, properly maintained, and in your price range.

Hey. Just went thru same thing. Call Scubatoys.com and tell them what equipment you need and what you have to spend they will fix you up. I am a diver from PA and got this same advice and got GREAT DEALS AND SERVICE from them. Don't think you are locked in to Web Packages. They will mix and match gear to fit your needs. Don't forget about all the assc. you will need(hoseclips, wgts. lanyards etc.). i took all that stuff for granted on my rented gear and then spent apout $150 after I bought my gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom