First Set of Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MichaelBaranows

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am new to SCUBA only 12 dives and have been using training equipment from shop (ScubaPro BC and (ScubaPro or AquaLung reg) of I remember correctly. I have felt comfortable with this equipment but am about to get my own gear cause I will be doing alot more diving. Once I get a little more comfortable under water most of my diving will probably be rig diving.

My local shop deals in Zeagle, ScubaPro, Agualung, as well as others that I can't remember right now. I have been looking at the Stiletto and Escape for BCs for have no idea about Regs. They are also replacing training gear so they are offering a set-up for about $1300 (I think).

So my main question is were do I look to get information on what would be good for me to use. As a new diver what would be a reasonable price for my first set of gear.

Michael
Sweeny, TX

MichaelBaranows:
My local shop deals in Zeagle, ScubaPro, Agualung, as well as others that I can't remember right now. I have been looking at the Stiletto and Escape for BCs for have no idea about Regs. They are also replacing training gear so they are offering a set-up for about $1300 (I think).

So my main question is were do I look to get information on what would be good for me to use. As a new diver what would be a reasonable price for my first set of gear.

Michael
Sweeny, TX

You might check out this thread for regulator help: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=91403

Also, I just went in "The Equipment of Scuba Diving" forum. It is broken down into sections for each piece of equipment. you can find some good info in there.

The escape is a nice entry level BC. I belive the weight pocket string is a concern to some divers if it has to be rethreaded so ask the LDS about that if it applies.

$1300 is a ripoff for used gear just so u know. If their an Aqualung dealer they should carry Apeks regulators. Your best bet would be to go with either Apeks or Scuabpro regulators, Apeks for cold water and Scubapro for warm and kind of cold. If you liked what you were diving with get it, and also look around on the board, there is tons of information.

$1300 will get you a top of the line BC as well as a top of the line regulator set... new.

$1300 for a used BC and used reg set is a tremendous ripoff.

I don't think Michael is suggesting that the shop is selling used equipment. They are getting ready to place a big order to replace their training gear, and so he could join the big order and benefit from the volume discount. The price quote of $1300 seems high, but depends on what is included (BC, regulator, computer, fins mask?).

Tim

Hopefully they are talking new, and there are some extras like a big rolling bag to go with it. Our Zeagle Package with a Brigade, or escape or stilletto, and a nitrox dual gas computer goes out for 1150... So I'm sure 1300 can't be for used training gear... I hope...

While $1300 sounds like alot, it probably is for used gear. One LDS near me turns over their rental/training gear twice a year. It's usually the best priced package the owner can scrounge from a particular distributor. One year it was an Alpha 7 reg with Oceanic BC, another time Genesis Yukon, this spring it's Titans with Suunto gauges and an Oceanic jacket BC. Package price is about $650 and they do offer at least an inhouse warranty. In any event, I've compared their packages item by item to someplace like LeisurePro and could have bought any of the set brand new for less. They manage to presell 30 sets twice a year. Most new divers won't take the time to do their own research and feel comfortable in what they trained in. As far as Zeagle BC's and the rip cord weight dumping, you would only have to rethread if you pull the cord. The weights are removable from zippered pockets and you would only pull the cord in an emergency or demonstration. Threading the cord isn't difficult anyway.

$1300 for used gear? no thanks.
If you're prepared to spend that money buy new and get a reputable warranty with all of the equipment. I know the LDS will have had the gear serviced regularly, but I know if I was shelling out that kind of doe, I'd be looking for new equipment.
Go with scubatoys. I don't think you'll find anyone that'll beat 'em.

SF

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom