Alert devices???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sparkey1

Registered
Reaction score
I want to buy a alert device but it look like I have to buy one for the surface or for underwater. How can you have both?? can you stack them on your BC hose. I have a sea Quest Air Source. Please help.

Thanks, John

http://www.itwnexus.com/catalog/ind...75?PHPSESSID=b52e4566004e62dc2fe44fcbf02ee509

There ya go, reduce your failure points. If you need something for underwater, if you are separated from your buddy, and your buddy is totally oblivious to you not being in eye contact you do two things, first thing is bang on your tank with something hard (butt of knife etc.), the second thing is get a new buddy.
Don't buy into those silly things you can blast with air pressure, when you are most likely to need an emergency whistle is when you are must likely out of air. The air powered whistles don't work when your tank is empty.

Lung powered whistles don't have anywhere near the ear-splitting loudness of a Dive Alert.

There are many incident reports where a diver has surfaced either in distress, or simply downcurrent from a boat, and could not get the attention of the boat crew because they weren't actively scanning the water. In the vast majority of these cases, the diver DID have air in his tank.

The one time I used a Dive Alert the boat was looking for me and the DM, but did not see our heads, the DM's bright green fin being waved in the air and slapping the water, nor could they hear us yell. OTOH, by the time we popped our heads back up above water after sounding a 4 second blast on the Dive Alert, the boat was already turning towards us.

Lights, sausages, mirrors, the Dive Alert and lung powered whistles all have their own merits and a smart diver will carry them all.

sparkey1:
I want to buy a alert device but it look like I have to buy one for the surface or for underwater. How can you have both?? can you stack them on your BC hose. I have a sea Quest Air Source. Please help.

Thanks, John

I'd go with Charlie99.

Get the Dive Alert and a whistle and a large SMB (SUrface Marker Buoy) for the surface. I wouldn't bother with the underwater quacker. It's easier to bang on your tank, and your buddy should be close enough to grab and shake if he's not paying attention.

The Dive Alert does work much better than the whistle, but the whistle is small and light and it's good to have in case you're out of air or the DiveAlert doesn't work for some reason.

The DA is LOUD! In fact, you should submerge before pressing the button, since setting it off near your head will cause a little (hopefully temporary) deafness. It will however get the attention of anybody in the area.

I used the DA in Cozumel once when the boat was looking for me in the wrong direction, and it worked like a charm.

Terry

Justin699:
http://www.itwnexus.com/catalog/ind...75?PHPSESSID=b52e4566004e62dc2fe44fcbf02ee509

There ya go, reduce your failure points. If you need something for underwater, if you are separated from your buddy, and your buddy is totally oblivious to you not being in eye contact you do two things, first thing is bang on your tank with something hard (butt of knife etc.), the second thing is get a new buddy.
Don't buy into those silly things you can blast with air pressure, when you are most likely to need an emergency whistle is when you are must likely out of air. The air powered whistles don't work when your tank is empty.

What was that phrase that Doc Intrepid uses? Bumb scoop?

No live boat will hear you unless you have a LP hose powered whistle.

The little plastic whistles do not work for situations like that.

Web Monkey:
The DA is LOUD! In fact, you should submerge before pressing the button, since setting it off near your head will cause a little (hopefully temporary) deafness. It will however get the attention of anybody in the area.
Not just loud, but piercingly loud! And a lot higher pitched than I was expecting for whatever reason.

I surfaced very far from the boat after a drift dive in Cozumel. Looking in my direction from the boat, the spotter would be looking into the direction of the sun. I could see the boat, but those on the boat could not see me.

I tried using a lift bag and a fin to catch their attention: Nothing. I tried calling out to them: Nada.

I used my Dive Alert. While those on the boat could not see me, I could see the boat start to move in my general direction. When the boat would start to move off course, I would sound the Dive Alert again. Finally, those aboard spotted me, and they picked me up.

How are you people coming up from a dive in Cozumel away from the boat?

Back
Top Bottom