Pack Or Carry Reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharky60

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok, y'all here's another one of those informal polls,
do you pack or carry your regulator when you travel, it used to be in the past that it was a better idea to carry you reg with you because depth gauges didn't do well in unpressurized luggage compartments.
now with computers are more people packing thier regs? I've always carried mine, just because I think the luggage gets handled too much and now after 911 you can't lock the stuff.

I ALWAYS carry my reg, computer, UW camera, and prescription mask (spare mask and reg are packed). I USUALLY carry my BC as well. Other stuff can usually be rented pretty handily.

I carry my reg. I have a face shape that is easy to buy a mask for, or I would carry that too.

I figure I can buy a mask and a few items and rent everything else.

I carry my regulator and computer b/c I like the idea of using my own regulator, and not some herpees infested rental mouthpiece. I can always rent everything else once I get there.

kent_1848:
I carry my regulator and computer b/c I like the idea of using my own regulator, and not some herpees infested rental mouthpiece. I can always rent everything else once I get there.

Couldn't have said it better. Of course, I don't want my gear stolen, but more importantly, if you see how they clean their rental equipment (let the diver dunk it in water and hang it up), you'd never want to rent it anyway.

Unless you have good insurance and a way to replace the item if lost, ide take valuable on the plane since they do search luggage these days and people do get ripped off by airline baggage handelers and the luggage get handled roughly at times.

I wrap my regs up inside my wetsuit for protection, then wrap all that up inside my bc. I check everything, and haven't had any problems with it so far. I like being able to travel light as I walk through the airport. I carry a backpack with a change of clothes and passport, tickets, etc. as a carryon.

carry-on, along with my computer!

sharky60:
Ok, y'all here's another one of those informal polls,
do you pack or carry your regulator when you travel, it used to be in the past that it was a better idea to carry you reg with you because depth gauges didn't do well in unpressurized luggage compartments.
now with computers are more people packing thier regs? I've always carried mine, just because I think the luggage gets handled too much and now after 911 you can't lock the stuff.

DEEPSEE has an excellent carry-on bag with rollers for all your travel scuba gear. It is featured in this month's SCUBA DIVING magazine. A slot folds out to hold your freediver fins as well, if you also like long fins.

Carrying-on your scuba gear makes more sense than checking it in because you have a good chance of losing some of your luggage on any trip. Without your scuba gear, your $$$$ trip is wasted.

I recommend checking a small suitcase, very small, with your scuba tools, knives, safety razors, nail clippers, and any sharp objects that could be used by a terrorist to hijack an aircraft. A small checked suitcase is also a good place to put your pouch weight belt and 14 lbs of soft weights, and your empty pony bottle, if you bring these.

Dont forget cookies and a bottle of water for your carry on. You will get hungry on the plane, and they do not feed you very well anymore. Cost cutting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom