Should I get a Spare Air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I GO DOWN !

Reaction score
I'd like to hear your opinions on SPARE AIR... I want to purchase one for emergency use only.. I am strictly recreational and not into deep dives or any specialty.. maybe wreck diving in the future... I've heard alot of controversial info on these and want to know if they are even practical... I've read that depending on the size of the bottle they range from 20 surface breaths to about 54 max..<20 breaths underwater isn't much air at all but at the depths I dive( approx 60ft max) isn't this sufficient for direct ascent to the surface.. (assuming I dont need a deco stop), a pony bottle seems to be overkill for me.... the piggy bank is on the table so gimme your $.02... thanx

I GO Down,

For the same money, you can get yourself a nice pony bottle set up. The Spare Air is only device that allows you to drown twice :)

If you have 54 breaths at the surface (that is non-panic mode), you are not going to have enough to get you a full breath if you are in panic mode.

Go with a pony bottle set up. Depending on how you dive, you may want to carry it as a stage bottle (more comfortable)

Hope it helps
Eric

Thanx for the reply... I thought about a pony bottle but I'm not looking forward to the extra weight out of the water.. as well as the added weight I will need to carry to compensate... while there is never such a thing as too much air it seems like a pony would be overkill for the type of diving I do.. I like the idea of being able to attach it(spare air) to my bc without any hassle... are they really that bad?..

Regarding Spare Air, there are definite pluses and minuses regarding the choice between using a Pony Bottle vs a Spare Air.

Pony Bottles are more versitle, cheaper, very reliable, provide more air. But, are more difficult to transport, heavier, require more maintenance, & harder to fill, and are heavier.

Spare air is very quick to grab and use when you need it, requires little maintenance, easily transportable, relatively lightweight, easy to donate, fills from a Yoke style scuba cylinder. But, they give you less air than a Pony, and is more expensive.

Hi I GO DOWN,

Here's a rough draft of a piece you may see published soon. Hope you find it informative.

"Cylinders providing extra air for emergency situations come in three forms: The small bailout bottle like Spare Air, larger bailout bottles such as the pony, and independent twin tanks.

Small bailout bottles, which typically are attached to the BC, come in sizes from a tiny 1.2CF to Spare Air's 6CF "600-Twin." Pony sizes, which attach to the main cylinder by bands of various sorts, range from 6CF up to 50CF, although with the latter it would be safer & more cost-effective to set up standard size independent twins.

Which set up is best for you depends on your dive plans. For example, for dive plans in shallower water, say above 60 feet, the largest small bailout bottle may suffice. With deeper recreational diving, a pony bottle would be better. When technical diving is planned, such as depths exceeding the recreational, overhead environments, and where there are known entanglement hazards, independent twins are often wisest.

Spare Air advertises 30 surface breaths for the 1.7CF unit, 57 for the 3CF & 144 for the twin 3CF set up. More useful, however, are estimates of emergency gas needs while actually diving. Depending on breathing rate, to ascend from 60' at a brisk 60FPM without a safety stop requires anywhere from about 2 to 7CF air. From 100', it's from about 3CF to over 12CF. For a slower ascent and 15' safety stop for 3", you'll need proportionately more gas. It of course would be prudent to base your calculations on the increased consumption rates expected in an emergency situation.

As you can see, 3CF of air won't get you far. For this reason, it is important that a diver carrying a small bail out bottle not be lulled into a false sense of security. Once in trouble, he will have scant no time to solve problems or even make himself positively buoyant. At best, the diver will have enough gas to make an emergency ascent and reduce the risk of AGE because he's breathing off of something.

Other things you'll want to consider are the logistics of transporting & rigging various systems. Larger capacity cylinders typically mean greater size & weight. While small bail out bottles are connected to the BC via Velcro straps, holsters or lanyards, and ponies are attached by bands, doubles require a special BC. Finally, while small bail out bottles are minimally affect buoyancy, ponies & doubles do impact buoyancy, trim & drag, and compensation needs to be made. It is also important to consider inconvenience & nuisance factors as whatever your system, if you don't take it diving it can't assist you.

Cost is always a consideration, and none these systems are cheap. Since you asked about Spare Air, they offer 3 rigs. The MSRP for the 3CF is around $300, 3CF nitrox is about $330 & the twin 3CF closely approaches $500. Pony and independent doubles set ups can run in this same range depending quality of components, but can easily be assembled for well less than the price of the Spare Air twin 3CF unit. Be aware that whatever set up you decide on, the cylinders, regs & and associated pieces need the customary inspections & servicing. If you go with the Spare Air, I'd suggest ordering the optional dial pressure gauge, or supplying your own bolt gauge, to replace the standard pop-up stick model.

Regarding fills, bail out bottles usually are filled from the diver's main cylinder, although they can be compressor filled. Most divers carrying ponies, except for the smallest sizes, typically prefer to have these compressor filled rather than off their standard tank.

As final note, remember that the systems discussed here are nothing more than emergency gas sources, and are not to be thought of as ways of extending dive times. The diver still is required to properly monitor his main air supply, and follow whatever buddy plans have been established prior to the dive."

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Would you jump from an airplane with a parachute that you know would only open part way? Sure it'll slow you down but it MOST likely isn't going to give a safe landing. Why put on a piece of equipment that when it functions just as you're told it will MOST likely isn't going be sufficient. They are a neat concept and have some very practical applications I'm sure. I'm just not sure that an emergency at 60' is necessarily a practical application for this bit of kit.

From what docVikingo posted there is not very much choice

Spair death 1.7 cuft upto 6 cuft

or

Pony cylinder 6 upto 50 cuft

You need between 2-10 cuft to surface. This is going at 60 FPM no stopping for anything.

so - spair death will probably be OK if you can ascend immediately. However, what happens if you need to stop for a brief moment to get you bearings, and stop panicking?

If you think that from the moment you put the spair death in your mouth that you will be on your way to the surface then it might just suffice. If you are diving anywhere even slightly dissorientating like kelp beds, dark murky water etc... then you won't have time to think.

Summary:

Spair death is probably ok, however, it will just get you to the surface, a pony on the other hand will give you much more air, so that you will have time to stop, assess the situation, and then act appropriately.

Jon T
(definite pony exponent)

PS I wish spair death would stop advertising that they are US navy suppliers. They are, but they supply them for ditched helicopter escape at less than 10m (33ft) NOT scuba divers.

Thanx for all the great advice.. I definately see the + and - of each setup.. the only reservation I have with the pony is it isn't too practical to travel with.. for local diving it would be great but I always bring my own equipment and rent tanks at the destination.. to travel via airplane with a pony bottle, while not impossible, doesn't seem too practical.. I'd have to pay the additional cargo fee.. the valve would have to be removed, etc... from what I'm hearing it sounds as if nothing less than a spare air 3.0cf is sufficient even for emergencies.. thanx again for all your feedback and keep it coming

Well lets see. There are many ways to look at this but for me its simple....I'd rather be broke and alive at the suface than have money in my pocket dead on the bottom.

I think that the extra air should help you only if you are really in trouble. As Doc said you should not think of using the extra air to make your dive longer. I believe that first you should think about making your dive safer through building up your diving profile...more dives, better control etc. Once you get into trouble and you get out alive you learn a lot. Sometimes things can not be learnt from books or stories. You need to experience in order to understand how you should react.

My oppinion is that you should try lighter equipment and make sure you know how to do things in order not to get into difficult situations.

However my experience does not include shortage of air problems and therefore I might not be competent as far as the matter is concerned.
VV

Back
Top Bottom