Question on double-hose regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bahamasita

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard that the regulators with the double hoses are making a comeback. It seems like having bubbles coming out behind you versus in front of your face like with regular one-hose regulators would be an advantage. What are some of the pros/cons to these regulators? Anyone own a double-hose one? How do you like it? Is it worth to own? Is the cost much more than a regular one-hose? How does it fit on an octopus having TWO hoses? I know nothing about this type of regulator.

I'm curious because I am going to buy a regulator (along with a few other high cost items like a dive computer) in the next couple weeks and want to be sure to get the appropriate one.

They are harder to breathe from (significantly harder, in some cases) and the old ones mostly don't have ports for modern niceties like SPG's and octo's. Photographers will tend to like them because they can get face-to-face with macro subjects without freaking them out. Aqualung has come out with an updated version of their old Mistral that is based on their Titan 1st stage and that has the ports for modern goodies but still has the inherent WOB problem.

They're fun for some but they're dated technology that has only a limited appeal today. They're also priced at about $900, a lot of green for what amounts to a nostalgia trip.

I don't know of any other 2-hose manufacturers that are turning out new products. You can find old stuff on eBay, good luck finding parts and service for them.

Parts and service for vintage double hose regs is no problem. Visit :

www.vintagescubasupply.com
www.vintagedoublehose.com

for parts, service, and reconditioned regs.

Vintage Scuba Supply has a board that is the best place for information on vintage diving techniques. It is not true that all double hose regs are harder to breath than single hose regs. I have a very nice US Divers Royal Aqua Master that performs as well as just about any reg you will find new or old. The US Divers Double hose regs use many of the same parts as the current Aqualung regs. They are simple, very dependable and time tested regulators. There are some different techniques for diving double hose regs and the positioning of the reg on you back and your orientation in the water does effect performance to a degree. It is a fun way to dive but it’s not for everyone.
-Ryan

Back
Top Bottom