Is Mares going Away?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ramgib

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Over the past few days, I've been told by several people (From DIve shop owners to Quarry operators to other divers) that mares is going away soon. And in the Next month or so Diver supply will no longe be carring Mares products. I've been told that I should stock up on regulator parts for Mares. What have anyone else heard?

Thanks

I wouldn't think so. After all, they just revolutionized the diving world with their Limited Edition line. Why would they go away.

steve2281:
I wouldn't think so. After all, they just revolutionized the diving world with their Limited Edition line. Why would they go away.

LOL.............LOL.............LOL!!!

One of the guys at my LDS told me that the Plana Avanti's weren't on the new ordering list, and he thinks that they may be discontinuing them (shame, nice simple inexpensive fin!) But nothing about them (pardon the pun) "tanking"?!?!

Mares is huge, both in the US and Europe. They may be discontinuing one thing or another (like the Dacor lines they purchased a few years back), but I'd wait a bit before you run out and start stocking spare parts for your regs (ummm, unless you happen to own Dacor regs).

I suspect Mares will be around in one form or another long after we're all no longer diving...

Mares/Dacor doesn't have the best track record ..... there are a lot of divers that are still mad about the problems they have had with the company and refuse to purchase any equipment from either company. Remember they has changed hands and names several times (VOIT, AMF, SWIMASTER , MARES) and they have refused to supply parts on equipment sold with a "lifetime warranty". Many dive shops are upset that you can easly find their equipment sold by the large internet scuba shops much cheaper. Many shops have dropped the line for this reason. There is a talk about another major change comming up but no one knows what it may be. Some say Dacor may be dropped or may become the "low end" with Mares being the better line. MARES may tighten up on the "grey market" equipment trying to solve the problems with the local shops while continue to push Dacor thru the internet resellers.

But seriously, the only thing recently that may support your demise theory (which is unlikely) is a management change Mares did late last year. Mr. Martino the new managing director of Mares was recruited from Nike last year, and is a member of this board. Mares isn’t a huge company HTM their parent company is, so I believe HTM is here to stay. I also believe Mares popularity suggests that the company is doing fine, but if you have bad management…who knows what can happen look at ENRON.

This link below will show you the different companies which are a part of HTM (Mares is just a small part of the whole):

http://www.head.com/corporate/management_76.php

Remember in the corporate world if you’re a small part of a big company and not making money your expendable; no matter how popular you are.

I don;t see them "going away" but after the huge kick in the nutz they took with the HUB (POS deathtrap) sales I see them having to play catch-up. they'll always be second rate, overmarketed equipment.

Have you pulled up the www.head.com web sight lately ...... try using the Dacor link and you get "comming soon in 2005 new interactive web sight" ...... it's been saying that since December 2004. Didn't see Mares/Dacor listed as a vendor at SEASPACE 2005 in Houston in June. SCUBAPRO is listed as having committed to 3 booths for the show.

steve2281:
Coke alert!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom