Reg VS BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drglnc

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I am about to invest in one of the more expensive scuba purchases. What do the experienced divers recommed. Should I get my reg or my bc first?

drglnc,
Seeing that most regulators breathe and operate very much alike and, for the most part, have no effect upon the other mechanical and physical aspects of the dive, I would recommend that you first buy your B/C/

Why?

The operation of your B/C plays a very significant part in your ability to master your buoyancy and control your ascents and descents. Becoming comfortable with your B/C and mastering its operation is extremely important to not only your enjoyment of your dives, but also your safety.

Another aspect of owning your own B/C is that should you start diving frequently, it will eliminate the issue of different weight requirements due to differences in buoyancy characteristics of different rental B/C's, which goes back to my previous observation.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll work out the best decision for your particular diving needs.

Safe dives . . .
. . . safer ascents!

the K

Yep....ditto ditto ditto.....

Not only getting used to bouyancy....but also knowing where everything is when the you know what hits the fan. Thats not the time to go asking yourself where you hung something this time.

And,,,,,I get to be the first????? GET A BP & WING !! ....gosh I feel so bad....NOT.

Without a doubt, you want the BC first. The others have all given good reasons, and I'll add that you want to be comfortable. Getting a rental BC that fits and is comfortable happens about half the time.

Just to be obstinate :), one thing about regs that does differ is whether a reg is a swivel unit, so that it comes up from under your arm rather than over the top.
I really like owning an underarm reg. I was fine with the shop BCDs (they had both jacket and back inflate for class), but shifting to the underarm reg just felt much better in the water.
Can I use a "normal" reg? Sure. Do I prefer the "fit" of my own reg, absolutely.
As in most things, YMMV.

(I freely admit not being experienced, other than my own experience, what feels right on my body, me using it.)

one of the last things I bought was my reg, i bought my bc and my computer first, the regs my local shop rented are good regs, so i felt it better to used to the bc and computer first, they caused a bigger change in my diving if i had to rent different ones every time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom