bw/p vs bc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drglnc

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Other then the look and location of the bladders whats the difference? I tend to see more tech divers with bp/w and more reg divers with bc. Theres tomany choices in diving.

Ooooo... There's the sound of the can of worms opening...

All joking aside, you will find many threads here discussing this issue.

The main advantage of BP/W setups is the ease of keeping a proper horizontal trim in the water, as well as better weight distribution if using a heavier backplate (i.e. SS).

You'll get many opinions, but in the end, what's important is what one is comfortable with.

Best thing to do would probably be to try them. There are many types of BCs and different configuration of bp/w (harness configuration/bp material etc.), so yes it might be impractical/impossible to try them all—beg/borrow a few if you can and get help from the owner/someone familiar with the equipment. Then you can make up your own mind. There are tons of useful information on this board.

for me, the biggest advantages of bp/wings are:

1. don't fight you in maintaining horizontal trim and bouyancy

2. much more low profile; less drag; less energy to move around; and

3. harness is infinetely adjustable. you essentially get a "custom made" fit by
adjusting the harness to your exact proportions

there are probably other reasons i could think of, but those are the big three for me

I think you see more experienced divers with the BP/W. Not necessarly tech. Experience just shows you whats more efficient. As mentioned by Vie, try out all of them. Get whats comfortable to you. That is whats going to help you become a more experienced, and capable diver. Personally I'm a BP/W guy.

Dive safe

It's very stable, it feels like you bolted the tank directly to your spine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom