I posted a question, why was it removed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tsquare

Registered
Reaction score
I posted a question here earlier today, can someone tell me why it was removed

tsquare:
If you are talking about the IR post it is still there. It was probably probably posted in the right area. Do a search for your heading and I am sure you wil find it. If it is the IR post.

If I do a search for all your posts (should be 5) I only can find 3.
My advice woulld be that you post questions like this here: Site Support.

Laurens

tsquare:
Because you posted the same question in three forums.

Welcome to ScubaBoard - it's a big place. While it's understandable that you might wish to have your question receive as much attention as possible, with 40,000 members and umpteen scabillion posts every day, it becomes unmanageable if we allow this. We ask that users, especially new users, take the time to carefully consider which forum to use when starting new threads and to limit themselves to one thread. Sorry.

You should have received a Private Message explaining all of this from the Mod that removed the other two threads you started - if not, our apologies.

reefraff:
Because you posted the same question in three forums.

Welcome to ScubaBoard - it's a big place. While it's understandable that you might wish to have your question receive as much attention as possible, with 40,000 members and umpteen scabillion posts every day, it becomes unmanageable if we allow this. We ask that users, especially new users, take the time to carefully consider which forum to use when starting new threads and to limit themselves to one thread. Sorry.

You should have received a Private Message explaining all of this from the Mod that removed the other two threads you started - if not, our apologies.

Here's a site suggestion: How about allowing one post to show up in more than one forum?

There have been many times that I've seen a question that could fit into several different categories. By allowing it to show up or link to more than one forum, you only have one thread but with just being seen from more than one point. It wouldn't be any more additional threads in the database and would be eaiser to manage. It would cut down on redundant posts that are exactly the same and also help members in the same way.

Kind of like how on Ebay that you can post/sell an item in more than one category.

mike, we do have that functionality, but the work involved in making sure every thread gets shown in every applicable forum is prohibitive. I think most posts get enough coverage already and most fall best into one category. It's just not practical to do as a matter of course, but it gets done where there's a good reason to do so.

mike_s:
Here's a site suggestion: How about allowing one post to show up in more than one forum?

There have been many times that I've seen a question that could fit into several different categories. By allowing it to show up or link to more than one forum, you only have one thread but with just being seen from more than one point. It wouldn't be any more additional threads in the database and would be eaiser to manage. It would cut down on redundant posts that are exactly the same and also help members in the same way.

Kind of like how on Ebay that you can post/sell an item in more than one category.

I think that most of us don't want to see links to the same thread or post in 18 different forums - better that the author take a few minutes and figure out which forum is most appropriate.

reefraff:
I think that most of us don't want to see links to the same thread or post in 18 different forums - better that the author take a few minutes and figure out which forum is most appropriate.

well.... I can see some use for it, but then again, I can see it also where it would be a pain because you'd see the darn thread everywhere.

If it was done, I'd say limit it to only 2 or 3 max total 'cross' forums.

Hypothetically, lets just say we gave the option to do that to the poster, how easy would that make it for spammers to hit us and really bog us down? There is software in here that only allows you to make so many posts in a timeframe and non-repetative posts in the same forum (but not across forums that i know of). EBay i think you have to pay to have your advert/auction up in more than one catagory, now if we made people pay to post, i really think we might see a decline in posting - and of course i might be bankrupt with the number of posts i have made :wink:

Its just a tad easier for us to spot threads in multiple forums with similar titles by the same author and pull all but one - as long as it is somewhat related to scuba or the non-scuba areas, ie not junk. Its not ideal, but its the easiest option and of course let people know in the TOS that we dont like multiple postings of the same thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom