Gear Setup - Opinions Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RobC

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok, so I'm hooked...sue me :wink:

My wife is looking to get me a full setup for fathers day and I'm looking for opinions on some of the stuff I'm thinking about.

BCD - SeaQuest Pro QD+ with Air Source Complete
Regulator - Aqualung Legend LX Supreme
Computer - Uwatec Aladin Smart Computer Air/Nitrox w/ compass

Am I missing anything?

Also, would you recommend shopping online or sticking with the local shops? As of right now, the stuff online is over $500 cheaper...

Thanks in advance :)

Live in South/Central Texas & either stay local or go warmer...

Gee, you're looking at nearly the identicaly set-up that my husband has...and loves!!! The differences are that he has the Oceanic Datamax Pro+2 computer with QD and compass, and no air source on the BC. If you ask my husband, he'll tell you that you're picking great stuff. :wink:

That's pretty good gear - I would be happy diving with it. In my opinion, the UwaTec computers are too prone to sounding off with minor alarms, and this makes you complacent about major alarms. But... this is minor nitpicking. They are good safe computers and have great warranty and after-warranty support.

I would say that if you can afford the extra money, support you local dive shop.

If not, DON'T buy that computer online. Uwatec does not give you ANY battery or warranty support if purchased online.- There are NO authorized Uwatec online dealers. Uwatec is now charging over $100 for a battery change (some reports of $400!) if the unit was originally purchased from an unauthorized source... while authorized purchases get free battery changes for life!

Also Aqualung offers NO warranty on any regulator purchased over the phone or internet. They don't authorize any mail order sales, it has to be purchased from a real walk-in dive shop.

Again, I would support your local dive shop whenever possible. If your local dive shop isn't staffed by great people like min is, then maybe find another one or go to the internet, but choose other brands where you won't be penalized for it. I have bought a few pieces of dive gear online, so I'm not pretending to be a saint!

RobC:
Seaquest makes a good, reliable BC. If jacket style is what you want, you'll likely be very happy with the Pro QD+ . Personally, I'd never buy an integrated air source if a reliable octo could be purchased instead. IMHO, it's extra money for less functionality and security in an emergency, but others disagree. Personally, I wouldn't want to have to breathe out of the same hose I'm using to control bouyancy while ascending with a possibly panicy or unconsious diver during an air-share for a negligable increase in streamlining, and I definately wouldn't pay extra for it, but do whatever makes you happy. If it were me, I'd get an extra second stage instead.
RobC:
I don't have any experience with the Aqualung Legend LX Supreme, and have only used an Aqualand on several occasions as a rental. It was adequate, but I wasn't doing anything I'd consider particularly demanding. It has a good reputation from what I've heard though, and is supposedly easy to get parts for if it needs repairs anywhere in the world.
RobC:
I dove on a liveaboard with someone using one of these once, and I got really tired of listening to it beep at him. Way too noisy for my taste, but probably a good computer if you either don't do anything to put it in a bad mood or don't mind not having any peace and quiet when you dive.
RobC:
Am I missing anything?
Well... I don't know what you have, but a mask, fins, wetsuit, tanks, dive light, gear bag, reel, lift bag/smb, scooter, flag, bottom timer, jon line, wet notes, strobe light, slate, signal mirror, whistle, catch bag, speargun, and 18' RIB are all popular options.
RobC:
Also, would you recommend shopping online or sticking with the local shops? As of right now, the stuff online is over $500 cheaper...
Depends on whether it's more important to you to keep the local guy in business, get warranty service, and establish a good relationship with them, or save a fat wad of cash. That's your call.

RobC:
Ok, so I'm hooked...sue me :wink:

My wife is looking to get me a full setup for fathers day and I'm looking for opinions on some of the stuff I'm thinking about.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance :)

A steel cylnder or 2 that suit you?

Oh... in my liimited experience on several matters the LDS more than made up for any cost delta and then some.

Pete

MrConclusion:
If not, DON'T buy that computer online. Uwatec does not give you ANY battery or warranty support if purchased online.- There are NO authorized Uwatec online dealers. Uwatec is now charging over $100 for a battery change (some reports of $400!) if the unit was originally purchased from an unauthorized source... while authorized purchases get free battery changes for life!

Also Aqualung offers NO warranty on any regulator purchased over the phone or internet. They don't authorize any mail order sales, it has to be purchased from a real walk-in dive shop.

Is this accurate even for places like ScubaToys who have a store up in Dallas?

MrConclusion:
Uwatec does not give you ANY battery or warranty support if purchased online
Uwatec stopped supporting my Air X (purchased at an authorized shop) before the battery ran out:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=92367

I'd buy it at leisurepro.com and put the savings towards the next model.

RobC:
Is this accurate even for places like ScubaToys who have a store up in Dallas?
Larry can't sell Scubapro/Uwatec over the phone/internet/mailorder (no one can according to their reseller agreements) but you can always buy those brand from him at his retail store.

FWIW, they don't sell Aqualung brands (including Seaquest), but they seem to have just about everything else...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom