Underwater air powered tools

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I'm seeking info on underwater air powered tools, such as drills and saws, and air regulators and hoses to power such tools from tank air.

A couple years ago there was an article on this subject in either Advanced Diver or Immersed, I don't remember which.

The experts are the safety divers at the hydroplane races. You might want to contact those organizations if you don't get the answers you need here.

Roak

What kind of work are you going to be doing and how much of it?

Air tools underwater are rather problematic. The bubbles are a pain. They die quickly from getting water inside. Some of then won't restart after stopping underwater as the motor is full of water and locks up.

In the commercial world we generally use hydraulic tools and they are fantastic. Stanley makes a full line of underwater power tools. We also use a vegetable oil based hydraulic oil that is non-toxic and non-polluting so a busted hose or small leak is not a disaster.

I have heard of tools similar to the familar air tools that are designed to run on water. They use a surface pump to pump local water to run the tool and the exhaust goes right back into the water. I don't know of any sources for these.

As for hose and regulator you can run most air tools off of a standard scuba regulator. There are adaptors that convert the standard (or several of them) BC inflator quick connect to 1/4" npt. Then you just attach the tool, a hose or air hose quick connect.

I've used a standard air drill UW with no problems several times... just lube it good before and after exposure... especially in the salt.

Used the lp inflator hose off a standard 1st stage.

Small hand tools, no problem. Like previously mentioned, run straight off the LP port on a standard reg.
The critters do consume a LOT of air though, so you may want to consider an air compressor on the surface for deeper and/or extended use. For small hand tools, expect a tank to be drained in 5 - 10 minutes, depending on the CFM rating of the tool.
Flush well with lots of clean freshwater after use and run a lot of WD-40 or similar through & let dry.
If using in saltwater, have a bucket of freshwater to soak the tool in immediately after use.

If your just doing a "one off" job cheap air tools are the way to go. As pipedope said they are a pain to start sometimes once you stop but if you help them along by turning them by hand they will restart "just don't get your glove caught in the bit" :D and clean and oil them as soon as you get out of the water, use a vegetable oil if you are going to use them underwater again.
If you have a big job just call "pipedope":jester:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom