Buying gear in the Virgins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlyfsh1

Reaction score
The family will be bareboating in the Virgins this summer. In order to limit the amount of gear we haul around we're thinking of making basic purchases in St. Thomas or vicinity and renting the rest. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Or would you haul your own fins, bc etc.?

Well, figure that anything bought in the USVI has to be shipped in. So everything costs more than in the US. In the BVI, it has to be shipped in and also has a customs surcharge. So it cost even more. I don't think you'll like the pricing of scuba gear there.

Many of the bareboats will have basic snorkle gear on board. BUt you won't find these fins/masks as good as normal scuba masks typically.

Check around about renting gear there. Your bareboat charter company should be able to arrange this.

I'd still prefer to take my own gear though.

You may want to check on the prices before you go down and get a bit of sticker shock. I know that we ship there all the time as the folks there don't want to pay the prices they get... don't know how it will be for a tourist showing up. Even if you don't want to carry it with you, you can ship stuff there for pretty cheap. That might be an option.

You guys are just the advice I needed. Larry, I thought of shipping gear and you just confirmed my desires. Thanks guys
JLYFSH :crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom