Do I need special wetsuit "shampoo"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gh5sgh5s

New
Reaction score
My wetsuit seems to have aquired a mildly unpleasant smell.
I then soaked it for 2 days and it is better, but still there.
Is using dishwashing soap OK ?, or regular hair shampoo?, or will it damage the suit ?
What about a 2-in-1 shampoo-conditioner ?
I know they make special wetsuit cleaner, but I hate buying something if it is really just shampooo in a different , more expensive bottle !
Thanx !

Get one of the anti-stink wetsuit cleaners. They have enzymes that unravels the protein that is causing the smell. Regular soaps and shampoos don't.

All the best, James

A cap full of Literine or such works wonders.

Thanks for the words of wisdom, I am going to buy my first wetsuit this summer. I was in an LDS while another customer was finishing a wet suit purchase and the store owner was really pushing the wet suit shampoo. You would think after spending a few hundred dollars on a full suit they would throw in the first bottle of the stuff.

gh5sgh5s:
Is using dishwashing soap OK ?, or regular hair shampoo?, or will it damage the suit ?
I know they make special wetsuit cleaner, but I hate buying something if it is really just shampooo in a different , more expensive bottle !
Thanx !

Just soak it in your bathtub with a few drops of sink the stink and it would be fine

gh5sgh5s:
Thanx !
the only thing I've found to work well is Miryzyme or sink-the-stink. But I think Miryzyme works better. But that could just be me.

I've tried some kind of enzyme cleaner I got from Sam's Club, tried mouthwash, shampoo, you name it, but my wetsuit still would have that 'funky' smell. The only thing I've found to get it really clean is Miryzyme or something like it.

Good luck,

Randy

We use our suits everyday during the season and have always used spick-n-span (powder) daily. Just put a little in a rubbermaid tub filled with water and rinse the suits good and then hose them off. We have never had a smell problem and it sure hasn't hurt any of the suits, some are many years old. Very cheap too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom