TSA regulations on Scuba tanks (spare air, pony, etc)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bp_968

Registered
Reaction score
From the TSA website I found one area that says compressed gas cylinders are OK in both carry-on and checked baggage as long as the cylinder is open for inspection. In another area on the TSA site, it emphatically states that compressed gas cylinders are prohibited. Last year I took one to Florida with no problem, but, just about 6 weeks ago a fella I met on Lake Michigan told me he had his bottle confiscated at O'Hare Airport. He said he had the regulator off the bottle and a copy of the TSA website page that said it was OK wrapped around the bottle that was in his checked luggage, but, when he got to his destination the bottle was gone and there was a notice in his bag from the TSA that the unit was confiscated. So....... I'm leaving mine at home next week when I go to Cozumel. Maybe I can rent one?

I wonder if he took the valve out and all like they want? I went to Barbados last month and before flying I went down to the airport and talked to a TSA rep and he indicated NO TANKS IN CARRY ON......but OK in check luggage.

I too print off the TSA regulations and wrap around the tank with a note that it isnt sealed just unscrew the green plug. My pony made it both ways.

I plan on taking my 19 cu ft Pony Bottle with me to Belize. I am going to drain the tank and remove the valve. Then pack the contents in my SCUBA bag with my other gear. I am flying AA out of Miami.

Tim

Here is the link:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/compressed_gas.shtm

All you need to know is that you have to drain the tank and remove the valve--but have you seen the screeners? Do you really want some slack jawed moron "inspecting" the inside of your tank? These guys have to pass an IQ test to get the job--no one with an IQ higher than 80 may apply. I don't trust them not to screw up my tanks. I rent when I travel. Just my $.02

Currently, Nekton Liveaboards do not have Pony Bottles to rent. So, I would need to find a land based Dive Shop that would rent me one.

Tim

divermatt:
Here is the link:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/compressed_gas.shtm

All you need to know is that you have to drain the tank and remove the valve--but have you seen the screeners? Do you really want some slack jawed moron "inspecting" the inside of your tank? These guys have to pass an IQ test to get the job--no one with an IQ higher than 80 may apply. I don't trust them not to screw up my tanks. I rent when I travel. Just my $.02

Trwmodela:
Currently, Nekton Liveaboards do not have Pony Bottles to rent. So, I would need to find a land based Dive Shop that would rent me one

I would doubt that Nekton would ever rent them on the Belize itinerary.

The access you will have to any land based dive shops, coming in & going out - would be very limited in Belize.

Just have to watch the gauges, I guess.

Last trip I went on Oct 1st, I took my pony (a 19 also). I just removed the valve, put in my plastic screw and packed in in my checked bag. Never had a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom