best locations for beginner divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulacj

New
Reaction score
Hi all, my boyfriend and I are just getting certified and will be doing our open water dives in a few weeks. We are wondering where is a good place to vacation for beginner divers? We don't want to go someplace where there is a lot of current or other major dangers. We would just like to get some experience and see some great stuff without also having to deal with bad currents, down drafts, etc.... can anyone help us out? We are planning on doing some lake dives here in MN too, but would like to do a vacation also. Thanks, Paula

Welcome to the board Paula.

My suggestions would be either the upper Keys in Fla like Key Largo and Tavernier or if you want to go international, Bonaire is one of the best places both for novice divers as well as the best shore diving to be had.

Los Angeles CA or San Diego CA. Disneyland, Universal Studios, Sunset strip, Hollywood, Rock and Kelp Forrest to dive, ample beach diveing or boat diving (most boats operate only on weekends) Venturea (Peace Boat is awsome and operates Wednesday through Sunday).

Dive sites by Boat: Catalina, Santa Barbara, San Nicholas, Anacapa Islands are all great. Beach dives in Malibu (home of the start) are easy and offe excellent kelp forrest and rock Reefs, Palos Verde 9Kelp forrest and rock reefs), Laguna Beach (rock reefs) all offer some great beach diving at low cost.

Plus there is all that stuff to do on shore too. It is cold water diving (52-65F most of the year), but lots of fun. Depths 12-40 feet for most of it (and that is all you should be doing at first) but there are lots of sites offering 60 feet and deeper all the way to beyond 130 feet. All from the beach.

Welcome to the board!

Cozumel is a great place for a new diver. It worked for me years ago.

Joe

:hmmm: Cozumel is great diving, but there are some very questionable operators there, and how would you know which is which? Southern California has fun diving, but it's not for everyone. Key Largo has super :newbie: diving, operators who cater to new divers and are governed by the US Coast Guard and other entities, and it's a neat place. Book with an operator who will put a Dive Master in the water with you at first, even if it costs a little more. I like ScubaDo and Ocean Divers, but there are many good ones there. I also like the cute little Hungry Pelican motel.

Check out our New Divers forum, and PM me if I can help you find your way here.

don :cowboy2:

Hello Paula,

for great diving, look at the last line of my signature!

Laurens

BTW, welcome (Scub)aBoard! :happywave

Moved from Introductions & Greets forum.

scubajoe:
Cozumel is a great place for a new diver. It worked for me years ago.
The only problem with Coz is they'll be ruined for diving any place else :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom